Knowing I have a future after high school is exciting and scary

There it was, sitting right in the middle of the furry pink throw blanket at the end of my bed, the same thing I had been waiting for the entire month. Although I had the email which clarified what the letter held, it didn’t feel absolutely concrete until I had the physical form in my hand. It was my acceptance letter to Central Michigan University, which is something both exciting and very scary because of what it meant.

I’m excited, because in a way, I will be on my own and I know I’ll be going to college after this last, carefree high school summer. What scares me is I don’t really know what to expect when I get there. How monstrous are my classes really going to be? Am I going to get along with my roommate? Am I really going to be as open to meeting new people as I think?

Another question that looms over me is if I’m going to be able to handle the stress and extreme homework that comes along with college. If ever I’m not at a class, the professor supposedly doesn’t care because they get paid regardless whether students show up or not– their payroll isn’t based on how many students are in their classes. So basically, it’s not the teacher’s responsibility to tell me what I missed at all. It is completely and utterly me, which might be bad because I’m a very forgetful person and a procrastinator.

My procrastinating self is also a worry, because I’ve got a tendency of doing that way too often. I’ve left so many projects, papers, and sometimes even articles until the last minute, because I either am just forgetful or I just get too tired by the end of the day. I’ve been working at it though, and have slowly improved. Hopefully by the time I get to college, I’ll break that bad habit.
I’m excited though. Number one, I’ll finally be out of high school. I’ll get to be in a new place, with new people, “by myself,” for the first time in my life. Although I may get homesick from time to time, I think it’ll be a great experience that’ll end up becoming a big part of me. I look forward to attending Central Michigan University in the fall.