My storm watching experience

Maya Cassetta, Staff Writer

As soon as I hear the first drop of water fall on my roof, I immediately jump into routine. I turn off my bedroom light, with the exception of the lanterns and colored lights that I leave on for a relaxing effect; then I sync my speaker to my phone and begin playing my playlist, especially for experiences such as watching rain, clouds, stars, etc. This playlist features artists such as The Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and so on. I will then put on one of my oversized tees, a pair of sweatpants, and some fuzzy socks so I can enjoy watching the rain fall in my most comfortable clothes. After all my preparations, I pull one of my bedroom chairs over to the window, grab a blanket and maybe a snack, then sit down to watch the entirety of the storm unfold.

The rain gushes down from the sky as if someone has poured a bucket of water down on the earth. With every falling droplet on my paved driveway, water erupts around it like an explosion. I listen eagerly to the rain dance on the roof anImage result for rainbow after stormd flow like a river through the gutters. The rain nourishes the earth, encouraging life and awakening nature from an otherwise malnourished wasteland. The rain refreshes me as if wiping the slate clean and washing away past discretions. I am creatively inspired by rain. Just think about “brainstorms”– many inspired ideas come to me during a downpour. Life wouldn’t be the same without rain puddles to splash in.

Among the rain, there is a loud and angry boom of thunder and a bright flash of lightning bolts. I begin to count how far apart each loud rumbling boom is after the flash of electric light through my window. For every five second I count, the storm is one mile away. I count six seconds, so the storm is just over a mile away from me. Another flash of light flashes across the sky then disappears, followed by a roaring boom that shakes the whole house. But then the thunder stops, and the rain begins to let up and become just a faint trickle.

The clouds begin to part and rain has stopped falling. Through the water droplets left on my window, I spot a faded but still majestic rainbow stretched across the sky. Just like the ends to so many beautiful stories, the storm will settle. In the end, all is well.