Dear Sophomore Year

Dear Sophomore Year,

For the past thirty minutes, I have been sitting here and staring at my computer. I have been reflecting on this past year and also trying to put this year’s experiences into words. As I am sure most people’s was, my year was full of ups and downs. My year has felt like the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Michigan’s Adventure; where some moments have been so incredibly valuable and some being so incredibly stressful. Each year, I have taken away something new from each high and low. Last year, I learned how to be strong and more independent. And although I have yet again grown on these two things, this year, I have learned different things, that I feel are equally important.

Throughout each struggle and challenge of this year, one thing I have learned is that doing your best is the only thing you can ask of yourself. Our lives are consumed by the ravenous hours of after school activities and the insane pressure to achieve greatness and perfection. But my question is why. Why does our generation put large amounts of pressure on ourselves to be perfect? What do we have to prove by achieving this? All throughout this year, I have found myself guilty of trying to achieve perfection. In dance, I have struggled with trying to prove to others that I am better and more talented; as if me being able to do more turns will move me ahead quicker. In school, I have struggled with trying to get higher grades. In all aspects of my life, I have struggled with thinking I have to do better and better. But this year, I have learned that not everything has to be perfect. I can only do my best, and that is all I can ask of myself.

Another thing that I have learned is that although stressful moments are lousy and bad, they don’t last. Every situation in life is temporary. Whether it be good or bad, moments are temporary and they don’t last. When life is good, make sure you enjoy and receive it fully. And when life is not so good, remember it will not last forever and better days are on the way.

So as my sophomore year comes to a close, there are a few words of thanks and gratitude that I would like to give out. First of all, without my mom, sophomore year would have been a complete disaster. She has kept me calm in times of excessive stress and knows exactly how to help in every situation. Another thanks is to my teachers, at both school and dance. They always push me to my highest potential and help me to always work my hardest. And last but not least, to my friends. A big thanks goes to my best friends for always holding me up, even in my most difficult times. Without any of these influencial and important people in my life, I don’t think my year would have turned out as it has.

I guess what I’m trying to say is thank you to sophomore year. Thank you to the awesome people in my life and thank you to the important life lessons I have learned. Sophomore year, you will be missed, but junior year, watch out. Here I come.

Yours Truly,

Payton Field