2017 Student Council Q&A – Jayla Williams

Name: Jayla Williams

Grade: Sophomore

1.) Why did you decide to run for Vice President?

“I feel like I can make a change to our class and our community. I believe I have a spark of creativity that only some individuals are born with, and I want to use it to help our school.”

2.) What do you hope to accomplish if elected?

“I hope to bring more tator tots into the school but also bring us together as a grade. I feel like we are not grateful for one another, and it upsets me. I see bullying, and I try to do everything I can to end it. So if I become VP, I will attempt to stop the cliques and hope to bring us together.”

3.) If you could push for one change at FHC, what would it be?

“It would be to focus on the mental health of each student and teacher. I see students every day crying, shaking, or very tense over school. Yes, school is something we need to focus on to succeed in life, but if it is breaking us apart, then something is wrong. I would rather be mentally healthy with a 3.3 [GPA] rather than having a 4.0 with serious issues and few friends to lean on.”

4.) What extra-curricular activities are you involved in?

“I participate in crew, and I have done every season open to me so far. I plan on trying out the swim team this fall. I also like to participate in the GLI club and the Boosters club.”

5.) What traits do you think successful leaders possess?

“I think successful leaders have kindness, creativity, and a heart of gold. If one leader wants the common good for everyone, the school would fall into peace and become a happy place.”

6.) Anything else you would like to say to potential voters?

“I truly want to make a difference in this school and world. I would love to join a Civil Rights organization and support BlackLivesMatter or support and speak out about how wrong rape is. I feel like if I start with something small and learn how to take in ideas and talk to large groups of people, my dream could become true one day.”