Ranger varsity baseball wins 12-2 on senior night

The Rangers kept their undefeated record at home vs. the Bengals of Ottawa Hills on senior night. After a slow start, they got things going behind the veteran play of their seniors. Senior Reed Aleck had a big time double, while Sean Wing added a nice single. Senior pitcher Brett VanWagoner threw 4 innings, striking out 5 and allowing 1 run. Senior JJ Rabideau came in relief and gave up 1 unearned run. After five innings of play the Rangers mercied the Bengals 12-2 with a walk off single by junior Connor Schwinkendorf. Sean was pleased with the win, and proud of his fellow seniors.

“We stayed focused and played together as a team,” Sean said. “It was really special we take pride in our home field and we didn’t lose at home all year.”

Brett and JJ came through at the plate for the Rangers while also delivering their clutch performances on the mound. Brett and JJ both combined for four hits and a run in the offensive effort Thursday night.

Junior Jake Heilman was glad to get a win and send the seniors out on a good note.

“Senior night was awesome for us with the pregame events and first pitch from Thad,” Jake said. “It was great that they all got to play and enjoy their last game at home.”

Every senior jumped in the starting lineup and contributed throughout the night. Reed had two of the twelve runs on the night, while seniors Mark Scannell, Sean Wing and Jon Martin combined for five more.

In terms of the rangers play as of late, Jake is optimistic for the rest of the season.

“We have a lot of momentum,” Jake said. “We look to go out and win as many playoff games as possible.”

Sean thinks that this team has a chance to go down in Ranger baseball history, and has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“Our goal going forward is to go as deep into the playoff’s as possible,” Sean said. “Hopefully we can win a state title.”