Nine FHC Students Sign to Play Collegiate Sports

February 4, 2016

On Wednesday, February 3, 9 FHC students signed to participate in sports at the collegiate level. After the signing, we asked them a couple of questions.

Mackenzie Yob

Basketball, Albion College

Q: Why did you choose Albion?

A: I chose Albion because it was one of the first schools that showed interest in me and continued to support me since then. Also I loved the feel of the campus and all the people.

Q: What’s your favorite part about basketball?

A: The team aspect is my favorite part about basketball because it just gives you so many friends.

Jordan George

Basketball, Hope College

Q: Why did you choose Hope?

A: I chose Hope because I love the feel of the campus and the basketball program. They have such a great tradition of winning, and I really like the coaches as well. The campus and downtown Holland were big draws for me too because they have great teaching program and the campus atmosphere seemed perfect fit for me.

A: My favorite part about basketball is how you can see results from your hard work. With practice, you can improve and perfect your game no matter how tall or athletic you are. Also the relationships that I have built through basketball, especially with my dad and all the guys on the team, and the seniors specifically.

Noah Arent

Hockey, Hope College

Q: Why did you choose Hope?

A: I felt like the school was a good place for me to get my education so I can be successful in life. I also loved the atmosphere in Holland with the beach 7 miles from campus and downtown Holland is right there also, not to mention their good hockey program.

Q: What’s your favorite part about hockey?

A: My favorite part about hockey is that it is my stress reliever and I get to play with my second family. I started when I was 2 and never stopped loving it. Hockey to me has always been an escape from life’s troubles.

Anthony Bowie

Soccer, Western Michigan University

Q: Why did you choose Western?

A: I felt it was the best place for me to further my education while playing for a great soccer program. WMU gives me a chance to grow as a person and a play under a great coaching staff.  Also the coaching staff there showed the most belief in me, even throughout all of my injuries. The friendly atmosphere at Western was also a big pull for me.

Q: What’s your favorite part about soccer?

A: My favorite part about soccer is the way it brings people together from any country. In my opinion, having soccer in common with someone is the strongest sports bond. Another part of the game that I love is the way you have the freedom to be creative and express yourself.

Mackenzie Sobieck

Golf, Davenport University

Q: Why did you choose Davenport?

A: I chose Davenport because I like the smaller sized school, and it has great programs with a really dedicated golf team.

Q: What’s your favorite part about golf?

A: My favorite part of golf is getting to spend time with my dad and getting to be outside.

CJ Strawser

Soccer, Indiana Wesleyan university

Q: Why did you choose Indiana Wesleyan?

A: The visit just felt right. I really liked the team and the coaches a lot. The campus and the facilities are really nice and I just fell in love with it there.

A: I have played it forever and it’s something that I really enjoy playing. I couldn’t imagine stopping after my senior year.

Alex Horman

Swimming, Albion College

Q: Why did you choose Albion?

A: I really loved the feeling and the size of the campus. And it also has that area that I want to study.

Q: What’s your favorite part about swimming?

A:  I love the competition within swimming as an individual sport but also being able to share excitement with my team and friends.

Dylan Oltolski

Football, Cornell University

Q: Why did you choose Cornell?

A: It was a chance for me to play Division 1 football and go to one of the best schools in the nation. I also really loved the campus and the coaches.

Q: What’s your favorite part about football?

A: My favorite part about football is when I hit someone really hard and I can tell they are in pain.

Maisy Snyder

Soccer, Michigan Tech University

Q: Why did you choose Michigan Tech?

A: When I visited the school, I fell in love with it. The campus is beautiful, the team and coaches are amazing, and it has a great engineering program. Tech made me feel at home even though its over 8 hours away.

A: The thing I love most about playing soccer is the sense of accomplishment you get from the sport. You put in so much hard work and time to improve. When it finally pays off through great goals, saves, and passes, it is amazing feeling.