Sutton Steensma– Sophomore Class President

Sutton Steensma-- Sophomore Class President

Name: Sutton Steensma

Current Grade: 9th

Running for: Sophomore Class President

Q: Why are you running for President?

A: I’m very passionate about Student Council and have a drive for helping my class to reach our full potential and I feel that if I am President I can accomplish that goal.

Q: Did you run for anything in previous years?

A: Yes, I was secretary this year and was a part of the council at the middle school.

Q: What impact would you like to have on FHC?

A: The impact I want to have on this school is I want my classmates to look back on their high school career and see that it was one of the best times of their life. I want them to see the growth and the strides they took in just those four short years while having fun and contributing to the school and our community.

Q: What separates you from other candidates?

A: I have experience with student council and I feel that my leadership qualities are something that is important when taking on a role such as president.

Q: What would you like to change the most?

A: The biggest thing I want to change is the way we support and treat each other. One of my main goals is unity and having the ability to change how we act towards each other and respect people’s values and beliefs while being there for each other throughout this short period in our lives.  We only have so much time left together before we go our separate ways after high school.

Q: What other things are you involved in at FHC?

A: I am involved in theater. This year, I am the dance captain for musical which is a very cool opportunity, and I can’t wait to start the season.

Q: What motivated you to run?

A: My motivation to run is my drive to unite my class.

Q: What is the most valuable characteristic within yourself that will help you run?

My positive outlook on situations. I feel that I can inspire others to put themselves out there and be a part of school activities and all of the events that go on during the school year, along with contributing their talents into things.  

Q: What teacher has influenced you the most during high school?

A: Mrs. DeMeester has definitely made me confident in my abilities and has helped me find my passions and pushed me to be the best human I can be.