Students are Not Professional Athletes

Students are Not Professional Athletes

The athletes of colleges are mostly just like every other student. Yes, many of them have matching coats and backpacks or specific Nike shoes, but aside from these distinguishing clothes and their large time commitments, they are still students. College athletes who already receive scholarship money should not be paid by the university to play sports. Scholarships granted to student athletes cover tuition, fees, room, board and textbooks. Because of this, they shouldn’t be given even more money.

According to the Dan Hawkins, a former NFL football player, “athletes work 49 weeks a year. That is longer than any student has to be in classes. Being an athlete is a job.”

Being an athlete may be a commitment, but it is not a job. The reason athletes go pro is so that is there job but when they are in college it is a hobby and they are supposed to be doing it because they are good at it and they enjoy playing the sport.

Student athletes have everything provided for them in college, giving them a distinct advantage over their peers. The experience of playing on a college team itself is valuable, working much like an unpaid internship for other students. For non-athlete students, however, the experiences of unpaid internships do not come along with a full-ride scholarship. In a way, college athletes are already getting paid. Universities should never have to shell out even more finances just to satisfy their athletes.

Many athletes argue that because they do not have time to get a job, the university should pay them and have extra money to go out with friends or afford new clothes. However, many college students are broke and deal with these inconveniences on a daily basis. Not being able to afford things is a way of life in college.

Also another reality in this situation is again college’s size. Division 1 colleges would be able to pay athletes more money and would decrease the talent pool in smaller universities.

Many college athletes already get the opportunity to fly around the country for free. Some get tutors, apparel, meals and tuition all for free. These student athletes should consider all of these free items pay, because there are students on this campus, as well as probably every campus in America that are struggling and would love to be in their shoes.