• March 254/12: M-STEP for 11th Graders
  • March 254/11: ACT WorkKeys for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: No school for 12th graders
  • March 254/10: SAT for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: PSAT for 9th and 10th Graders
  • March 254/20: Prom
  • March 253/28-4/7: Spring Break

Reena Mathews

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief

Reena Mathews is now entering her third year on The Central Trend and second year as Editor in Chief. She has always loved to read and write and is grateful to The Central Trend for allowing her to cultivate those passions. Now in her last year on staff, Reena is excited to see The Central Trend continue to grow and succeed after smashing their goal of 100,000 views last year.

Favorite Thing about Being on Staff: Meeting new people both on and off staff and having the opportunity to write every day.

Favorite Type of Story to Write: Editorials.

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, writing, and playing or listening to music.

All content by Reena Mathews
One last goodbye for the thing that started it all

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief May 10, 2019

On the first day of my sophomore year, I walked into Room 139 for the first time. And I never really walked out again. “Writing for Publication” was printed on my schedule for third hour. “Ken...

Ted Bundy biopic, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, provides a gripping performance and depiction of a gripping story

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief May 7, 2019

Zac Efron, of childhood idolatry and heartthrob glory, has never been so sinister. But, I suppose that’s the objective when playing the role of an infamous serial killer. And in Netflix’s Ted...

Taylor Swifts new single ME! marks the exciting beginning of a glimmering new era for her

Taylor Swift’s new single “ME!” marks the exciting beginning of a glimmering new era for her

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 26, 2019

The clock struck midnight, and thousands upon thousands of fans shivered in anticipation, hearts pattering, breaths bated, faces illuminated by the glow of a glittering, shimmering countdown. For 13...

Outside the School #9: Mueller Report, Notre Dame fire, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 21, 2019

Update to measles outbreak in New York The New York suburb of Rockland County first declared a state of emergency in response to the measles outbreak back in March. Now, this outbreak has reached New...

Sam Roub spends his spring break in Africa and discovers his next step in travel and service

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 16, 2019

Senior Sam Roub didn’t spend this year’s recent spring break on a resort. He didn’t relax on a beach or in the mountains; he didn’t post pictures online before white sand and a glittering sun....

Netflixs Unicorn Store isnt quite magical enough to make up for the tackiness

Netflix’s “Unicorn Store” isn’t quite magical enough to make up for the tackiness

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 9, 2019

Opening with a charming montage of old home videos immediately characterizing main character Kit (Brie Larson) as colorfully artistic and imaginative, Netflix’s Unicorn Store immediately wins points...

The moment Isabel found out she had been named Student of the Year.

A survivor herself, Isabel Oppenhuizen raises a staggering $20k for blood cancer research

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 29, 2019

On Feb 28, sophomore Isabel Oppenhuizen stood before a crowd of people, her family and friends beaming at her as she accepted the award signifying seven weeks of hard work and a battle fought and defeated...

The college admission scandal represents more than just Aunt Becky going to jail

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 26, 2019

The exposition of the college bribing scandal exploded into the scene, igniting the anger and indignance of all across the country. In the wake of Aunt Becky’s fall from all-American grace, parents...

Netflixs Turn Up Charlie offers next to nothing but marginally interesting entertainment

Netflix’s Turn Up Charlie offers next to nothing but marginally interesting entertainment

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 19, 2019

Sunday, the day known and beloved for its lazy, deliciously laid-back nature, was the day I began Netflix’s sitcom Turn Up Charlie. Boredom that I hadn’t had the pleasure of feeling in a while...

Humans of FHC: Remmie Gavle

Humans of FHC: Remmie Gavle

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 18, 2019

"[On the softball team,] it's really cool to see the upperclassmen and how they work with each other as a team. They're pretty much coaches too, like the seniors. Also, I really like being on a high school...

Humans of FHC: Isabella Viola

Humans of FHC: Isabella Viola

"I'm involved in Forensics Club, which is really speech club. I have anxiety with talking in front of large groups of people, and I guess [forensics] has helped [me] to get over that. It's really nice...

Outside the School #8 - New Zealand terror attack, college cheating scandal, and more

Outside the School #8 – New Zealand terror attack, college cheating scandal, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 16, 2019

Ethiopian Airlines plane crash Last Sunday, Ethiopian Airlines’ brand new Boeing 737 Max 8 boarded 157 people. Headed for Nairobi, Kenya, the plane took off from Addis Abbab, Ethiopia; warning signs...

My first day at FHC

I thought this goodbye would be easy

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 15, 2019

A few days ago someone asked me a question. How’s it feel to be graduating so soon? I didn’t expect to blank at such a simple, harmless inquiry. I opened my mouth like I always do, subconsciously...

Will Cammells drive and ambition carries through into all he does

Will Cammell’s drive and ambition carries through into all he does

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 12, 2019

Three years ago, as a freshman, senior Will Cammell joined the freshman soccer team. In an effort to stay in shape, he and his lacrosse teammates joined despite little prior experience on their side. “That...

FHC Orchestras annual Spring String Fling concert will be hosting special electric strings group, The Moxie Strings

FHC Orchestra’s annual Spring String Fling concert will be hosting special electric strings group, The Moxie Strings

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 8, 2019

Down the winding hall leading to the fine arts wing, behind metal doors, history and passion live and breathe within the very walls. The orchestra room, unbeknownst to many of the student body, emanates...

Kehlani impresses with her quality and cohesion in latest album, While We Wait

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 5, 2019

The artist many have accredited as the savior of modern R&B just recently released her newest album, While We Wait, and while I by no means consider myself an expert of the R&B genre, I can certainly...

Humans of FHC: Lindsay Litke

Humans of FHC: Lindsay Litke

“[My first year here] has been amazing. I love it. I love the students; I love my coworkers; I love the work. I worked in IT. It’s a very big difference. I still get to do some IT stuff, but not a...

What the implosion of the Jussie Smollett incident says about our world

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 26, 2019

To captivate the minds and emotions and attention of 330 million Twitter users or 3 billion Internet users or 7 billion people is no easy feat. Or is it? Certainly, a homosexual African-American...

Outside the School #7: national emergency declared, Jussie Smollett charged and arrested, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 23, 2019

Congress passes funding, and Trump declares national emergency Last week, both houses of Congress passed the $333 billion funding bill, effectively avoiding another government shutdown. And despite...

Humans of FHC: Ethan Vredenburg and Abby Irving

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 19, 2019

Ethan: "It was kind of a Christmas outfit with a bunch of cool little decorations: red, blue, white. It was Friday afternoon, and I was going to look for a tie because I hadn’t gotten one yet. So me...

Downtown Markets Juju Bird dismays with deceivingly average food

Downtown Market’s Juju Bird dismays with deceivingly average food

The tantalizing online pictures that enticed me into trying Juju Bird paled in comparison to the treasure that awaited me in person when I popped open the takeout container. Newly opened in the Downtown...

A declaration of emergency is foolish and unfounded

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 15, 2019

As the battle for the infamous southern border wall rages on, what started as a subtle rumble has recently grown to a clamoring roar. Through his increasingly antagonistic crusade for the wall, the...

Three-sport athlete Sarah Schenck thrives in the midst of her busy schedule

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 12, 2019

With three varsity sports and an undeniably difficult schedule, it’s easy for junior Sarah Schenck to have moments of longing for a simpler life. “Sometimes it’s kind of hard,” Sarah said. “Sometimes...

When life hands Ariana Grande lemons, she makes a slamming album

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 8, 2019

All eyes have been trained on the girl bearing the weight of a gunned-down concert, a whirlwind engagement imploding into a very public breakup, and an ex-boyfriend lost to suicide. Yet, Ariana Grande...

The word reduced to an initial and its place in the classroom

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 5, 2019

The storied tapestry of African-American history, while characterized by perseverance and resilience, is marred with the blood, sweat, and tears of four hundred years of unfathomable oppression. This...

Gretchen Shull and Mark Kemps newly-established Comedy Club welcomes any and all

Gretchen Shull and Mark Kemp’s newly-established Comedy Club welcomes any and all

“I’ve been in love with comedy forever,” said senior Gretchen Shull. “It’s always been intriguing to me. And I realized I loved doing it, I loved being it, and I’m actually not that bad at...

Humans of FHC: Olivia Parent

Humans of FHC: Olivia Parent

“I’m involved in drumline and in band. [The last drumline season] was interesting because we had a lot of people who were really good last season, and this season we had some incoming freshmen, so...

Humans of FHC: Sarah Chesner

Humans of FHC: Sarah Chesner

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 4, 2019

“I’m a swimmer on the FHC Swim and Dive team. It’s helped me make a lot of new friends, and it helps me improve my grades [because] I’m on a schedule. It’s taught me to try really hard and manage...

Outside the School #6: Government reopening, Venezuelan crisis, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 2, 2019

Government shutdown meets temporary end After a painful 35 days, the government shutdown was finally called to an end. President Trump announced that he’d be signing a temporary budget bill that would...

Why must 800,000 Americans continue to go without pay in the name of a fundamentally illogical wall?

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 22, 2019

Three and a half years of constant, abrasive rhetoric of that infamous, looming wall like an incessant swarm of unfaltering flies immune to all amounts of swatting. No swatting has tamed the beast that...

Netflixs FYRE: The Greatest Party that Never Happened is a fascinating look at an intriguing phenomenon

Netflix’s FYRE: The Greatest Party that Never Happened is a fascinating look at an intriguing phenomenon

In April of 2017, over 300 millennials touched down on a Bahamian island, alight with stars in their eyes, promises of a lavish, larger-than-life three-day getaway dancing in their minds. Tugged into...

Laura Salas enjoys meeting new people and breeding positivity through all she does

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 15, 2019

In middle school, she minimally involved herself in the minimal theater opportunities provided. Thus, junior Laura Salas entered high school with little knowledge of the hobby that had yet to sweep her...

Humans of FHC: Carolyn Mast

Humans of FHC: Carolyn Mast

“I’m in a Venturing Crew, which is through Boy Scouts, [as] a co-ed program. It’s really fun. I got into it because my brother is an Eagle Scout, and he was like, ‘Hey, we have this thing happening.’...

Outside the School #5: Government shutdown, measles, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 12, 2019

Government shutdown Today, the federal government’s now infamous shutdown hit the benchmark of the 22nd day, making it the longest of its kind. As such, yesterday, 800,000 federal workers were left...

Black Mirror outdoes itself with the groundbreaking mastery of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 8, 2019

Placated by the sweetly simple thought that I had seen the limit of Black Mirror’s groundbreaking capacity, I was patiently waiting for a fifth season. The British show first found popularity for...

Humans of FHC: Ben Lowen

Humans of FHC: Ben Lowen

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 21, 2018

“I’m not really a ‘sport boy.’ I’ve done the improv team here for a year. I’ve done a lot of theater here. But out of school, I’ve done a lot of community theater; [I’ve] done a lot of...

This years HOSA team dominates at their first competition

This year’s HOSA team dominates at their first competition

“[I] feel like a proud mom,” said junior Nicole Aquino. “You’re so happy that after all their hard work, it’s paid off. So that’s how it felt; I’m very happy for my friends.” As a board...

Humans of FHC: Julia Kirkman

Humans of FHC: Julia Kirkman

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 20, 2018

“This is my second year on dance team. Not only is it fun, but interacting with people from the other classes that I wouldn’t interact with otherwise is a really fun experience. And then also— because...

When I stole a moment of freedom

When I stole a moment of freedom

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 18, 2018

Yesterday was a Monday. I stayed up too late the night before; my night was plagued with unproductivity, and my day was weighed down with exhaustion. I left school at the end of the day feeling my poor...

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle is a dark, but surprisingly commendable, re-imagining of The Jungle Book

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 11, 2018

I suppose in this new age of a constant stream of shiny live-action remakes of childhood favorites, I shouldn’t have been surprised to see the cover of Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle looking up brightly...

A legacy or a loss?

A legacy or a loss?

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 7, 2018

Every day I walk out of school through the doors right by Mr. George’s room. Because of TCT duties and an admitted love for FHC after hours, I usually leave long after the 2:45 end of the school day,...

Italian exchange student Francesco Licci seizes opportunity and excels here at FHC

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 4, 2018

Senior Francesco Licci’s roots to FHC only go as far back as August. Arriving here at FHC through a foreign exchange program, Francesco’s experience here thus far has been a whirlwind of new culture...

Intro to Business 2018: Fuzz Zs

Intro to Business 2018: Fuzz Zs

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 3, 2018

Approaching the door of Jared Lowe’s classroom during third hour on any given day, the lively sound of students hard at work emanates from the door. A step into Lowe’s Intro to Business class captivates...

Outside the School #4: Alabama mall shooting, Apple in the Supreme Court, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 1, 2018

Alabama mall shooting On Thanksgiving night, a shooting broke out in a Hoover, Alabama mall. Just moments after the terror commenced, a Hoover cop shot Emantic Bradford Jr, killing him instantly. However,...

Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia is another comical and heartfelt comedy special from Trevor Noah

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 27, 2018

My newfound appreciation for stand-up- perhaps ushered in by Hasan Minhaj and my love for his show, Patriot Act and periodic viewing of The Daily Show clips- paved the way for my following of comedian...

TCTs The Countless Thanks 2018: Reena Mathews

TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2018: Reena Mathews

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 19, 2018

Selina Franovic - for your authenticity and all the laughs You decided that you liked me and wanted to be my friend way back in seventh grade, when I was an annoying, obnoxious middle schooler, so I...

First Man showcases some of Hollywoods finest talents, but is a bit underwhelming overall

First Man showcases some of Hollywood’s finest talents, but is a bit underwhelming overall

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 13, 2018

While browsing through Celebration Cinema’s current lineup, it was quite clear that, lately, Hollywood has been very generous in offering an array of quality films; however, when I saw that First Man...

Outside the School #3 - the 2018 Midterm Elections

Outside the School #3 – the 2018 Midterm Elections

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 11, 2018

This past Tuesday, on Nov 6, citizens across the country streamed to their local voting stations to fulfill their civic duty in the 2018 Midterms Election. Nationally, 35 seats in the U.S. Senate and...

Hasan Minhajs weekly political coverage in new show Patriot Act is witty, informative, and relevant

Hasan Minhaj’s weekly political coverage in new show Patriot Act is witty, informative, and relevant

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 6, 2018

In the dawn of an ever-polarized political landscape, mainstream entertainment has grown to adapt to and reflect this climate. From daytime TV, to late night talk shows, to Youtube, everyone seems to...

Writing is hard

Writing is hard

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief November 2, 2018

I had the privilege of finding books very early on. Or rather, it felt like books found their way to me. I was one of those kids with a book bigger than my body eternally grasped in my sticky, chubby fingers....

The FHPS bond proposal: what it is and why the district is asking for $130 million

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 30, 2018

The midterm elections are almost upon us. On Nov 6, voters in our community will use their voice and civic duty to decide upon legislatures, governor, and more. However, voters in the Forest Hills area...

Though it may take a few listens, new album Suncity is another hit from Khalid

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 23, 2018

Whether it’s dancing in the summer to “Young Dumb & Broke,” driving with the windows rolled down and “8TEEN” blasting, or a late night with friends and “Shot Down” slowly lulling everyone...

Outside the School #2 - Saudi Arabian journalist, Honduras migrant caravan, and more

Outside the School #2 – Saudi Arabian journalist, Honduras migrant caravan, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 20, 2018

Saudi Arabia journalist killed in Turkey Jamal Khashoggi had been a Saudi Arabian journalist for years, even serving as an advisor to Saudi Arabia’s intelligence chief in the past. But when he began...

Humans of FHC: Autumn Burns

Humans of FHC: Autumn Burns

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 19, 2018

"[My parents] named me 'Autumn' because they love the season- they love all the colors- and they also met each other in the fall. I definitely think I [share their love for fall]. I love everything about...

Students lend their time to St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store and other charitable causes throughout the community

“Volunteer Opportunity." Those were the simple words that Principal Steve Passinault’s schoolwide email bore in its subject line, and those were the words that caught the eye of a small group of...

Humans of FHC: Amelia Pointer

Humans of FHC: Amelia Pointer

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 17, 2018

"I'm kind of a [Halloween] fanatic. I was supposed to be born on Halloween, but I was born the 29th. [I love] the whole scary factor and the costumes and fall, in general-- and haunted houses, I'm really...

All too familiar fear

All too familiar fear

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 16, 2018

I rolled my car up to the exit of the parking garage, ready to pay for parking with my GRCC ID card and leave, as the evening class my friend and I take at GRCC had just ended. An angry beep sends frustrated...

#RealityHigh is a painfully cheesy flop

#RealityHigh is a painfully cheesy flop

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 9, 2018

I’m surprising myself by even admitting to watching a movie with a hashtag in the title. But, to be fair, I think we all have high standards for Netflix originals. So I was willing to give Netflix...

Learning in lockdown

Learning in lockdown

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 5, 2018

I spent the beginning of my school career at Thornapple Elementary. I loved it there. Lockdown drills at Thornapple were fun. We’d turn all the lights off and huddle on the floor, giggles spilling out...

Humans of FHC: Valerie Greenwood

Humans of FHC: Valerie Greenwood

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 4, 2018

“I was at the Michigan football game. There were a lot of squirrels there. I really relate to squirrels just as an animal. Me and squirrels are kind of the same. I wanted to make sure they were nice...

Matt Henriksens natural ambition and leadership extends to all he does

Matt Henriksen’s natural ambition and leadership extends to all he does

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief October 2, 2018

Friday night lights beating down, in between third and fourth quarter, the much-awaited act assembles before a cheering crowd. Drum beats thunder, and the entirety of the agitated student section begins...

Outside the School #1 - Paul Gosar, Rod Rosenstein, and Brett Kavanaugh

Outside the School #1 – Paul Gosar, Rod Rosenstein, and Brett Kavanaugh

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 29, 2018

With my counterparts, Nisha and Susannah, already having cast a light on what occurs inside and outside our beloved TCT classroom, it’s now time to depart from FHC and look to the outside world-- current...

Hillbilly Elegy is an honest memoir about the plight of working-class Appalachia

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 25, 2018

I didn’t think a book with “hillbilly” in the title would ever appeal to me, a first-generation American living in suburban Forest Hills. But alas, my affinity for memoirs and words far surpassed...

This years improv team gears up for another hilarious show this Saturday

This year’s improv team gears up for another hilarious show this Saturday

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 19, 2018

During a crackling bonfire at this year's senior retreat, the senior members of the improv team assembled and provided an enticing sneak peek at the electric energy they are about to unleash on stage Saturday....

When the sun sets on senior year

When the sun sets on senior year

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 18, 2018

It was a pretty surreal, awe-inspiring moment to be standing on a beautiful Holland beach, before a beautiful Michigan sunset, surrounded by almost my entire class. I suppose that’s what the annual...

Humans of FHC: Iman Hearing

Humans of FHC: Iman Hearing

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 13, 2018

“I do a lot in the art department; I really love art, and I love music. I listen to a lot of different types of music. [As for] art, I particularly like art drawings. With art, it’s just an easy way...

Netflixs Sierra Burgess is a Loser falls flat with an uninspired plot

Netflix’s Sierra Burgess is a Loser falls flat with an uninspired plot

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 11, 2018

Arriving on the heels of The Peter Kavinsky Phenomenon, Netflix has released yet another teenage rom-com, titled Sierra Burgess is a Loser. Starring Noah Centineo (of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before...

Introducing 2018-19 Editors Column: Inside Out

Introducing 2018-19 Editors’ Column: Inside Out

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 8, 2018

As the new school year unfolds, The Central Trend is coming off of a blowout year. Our website underwent a complete redesign, covered every single sport at every single level, posted over fifty times weekly,...

If I have to be standardized, so do they

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 7, 2018

On the last Saturday of this past summer, I took the SAT. It is the eleventh College Board-sanctioned exam I’ve taken; my College Board tally will likely reach sixteen by the end of my high school career,...

Sophomore Daci Funaro channels her inherent artistry in unconventional art forms

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief September 4, 2018

“Art is a sense of peace for me because it’s a type of beauty,” said sophomore Daci Funaro. “The art that I create I can take pride in; it’s just a safe thing for me.” As an intrinsically...

Nicole Marco continues to put her all into running

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief June 11, 2018

“Sports definitely is [a family thing],” sophomore Nicole Marco said of her runner parents. “From a young age we had to pick a sport, and [my parents] tried to get us to run, but we didn’t have...

13 Reasons Why returns with another controversial but compelling season

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief June 5, 2018

Last year, Netflix original 13 Reasons Why took high schools all around the world by storm. Based on the 2007 novel, the show had all the components for a classic, binge-worthy high school show: drama,...

Humans of FHC: Katie McClure

Humans of FHC: Katie McClure

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief June 3, 2018

“I made varsity [tennis] this year, but I played JV for my freshman and sophomore year. I really like it; it’s my second sport. So it’s kind of just been something that I’ve done for fun, but I’ve...

Popping the Bubble #17: Venezuelan election and Santa Fe shooting

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief May 23, 2018

Venezuelan election This past weekend, Venezuela held an election that was riddled with illegitimacy The country continues to suffer when it comes to poverty and malnutrition- especially thanks to...

Brutus - Preview Q&A

Brutus – Preview Q&A

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief May 7, 2018

Film: Brutus Producers: Grace Kline and Madisyn Bunke *Quotes by Grace Kline* 1. What’s your film about? “Our film is about four animals: a dog (Brutus), cat (Onyx), fish (Cheeto), and...

Popping the Bubble #16: Toronto van attack, Waffle House shooting, and Nicaragua

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 25, 2018

Toronto van attack On Monday afternoon, a van came barrelling down a crowded street in Toronto. Reportedly, the van covered a mile to a mile and a half of ground, pummeling into pedestrians as bystanders...

Humans of FHC: Jayden Bonsall

Humans of FHC: Jayden Bonsall

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 22, 2018

"I joined rowing [this year]. I'm a novice; I'm the only junior. It was kind of stressful because I didn't know anything, and they had all been training for weeks and weeks. I joined, and that same week...

Aquilo introduces a new, brighter sound with EP, ii (Side A)

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 21, 2018

Since the British duo first captured my attention with their debut album Silhouettes, I have watched Aquilo's every move and followed every single release as I patiently waited for another album. So...

Smoke in the aftermath of the airstrike on Douma, Syria.

Popping the Bubble #15: teacher protests, Syrian chemical attack, and the Cohen raids

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 11, 2018

Teachers protesting in Kentucky and Oklahoma Teachers have been making their voices heard loud and clear across the nation lately. Now in Kentucky, teachers are standing up to changes made to their...

Humans of FHC: Amy Wang

Humans of FHC: Amy Wang

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief April 3, 2018

"Something I'm really passionate about is architecture. I'm actually going to school for that at U of M. [I got interested in architecture during] a class I got put into my sophomore year. I really enjoyed...

Kristen pictured right.

Kristen Giles keeps herself busy and motivated all year through her many athletic and musical involvements

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 31, 2018

Having dabbled in three sports throughout her three years of high school thus far, junior Kristen Giles has always found herself captivated by athletics all her life-- namely, soccer. "I've been playing...

Popping the Bubble #14: Russia, Pennsylvania, and the Great Mills shooting

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 21, 2018

Russia Poisoning of former Russian double agent: Two weeks of ago, former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter were found poisoned on a bench in Salisbury, triggering an uproar from...

FHC will hold first Department Showcase tomorrow morning to present available elective courses to students

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 12, 2018

"I think some kids probably don't realize the opportunities that we have in the building," said Assistant Principal John DeStefano. "They get so focused on academics that they forget there are other things...

International fencer Annika Santos has made the most of freshman year and all the high school has to offer

Mask on, foil in hand. This is where freshman Annika Santos feels most comfortable, driving herself physically and mentally to beat out whoever she may face, continually pushing herself in the strenuously...

Popping the Bubble #13: gun laws, West Virginia strike, and South Africa

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 7, 2018

Trump and the bipartisan gun control meeting Last week, Trump held a bipartisan meeting of congressional lawmakers in order to discuss the issue of guns. Trump's position during this meeting, however,...

S. Careys brand-new album, Hundred Acres, delivers a perfectly soothing indie sound

S. Carey’s brand-new album, Hundred Acres, delivers a perfectly soothing indie sound

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief March 3, 2018

A simple scroll through Apple Music's selection of new music led my fingertips to an album- released just this past Friday- with a name almost identical to that of the whimsical Hundred Acre Wood from...

Popping the Bubble #12: Parkland shooting and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 21, 2018

Israeli prime minister accused of accepting bribes, fraud, and breach of trust Last week, the Israeli police recommended Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for indictment on charges of accepting bribes,...

Parents work hard on this years Senior All Night Party as planning and fundraising continue

Parents work hard on this year’s Senior All Night Party as planning and fundraising continue

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 18, 2018

It's the culmination of every homework assignment, difficult test, and sleepless night; every football game, assembly, and school dance. All the apprehension and anxiety and anticipation. Graduation: the...

Humans of FHC: Anonymous

Humans of FHC: Anonymous

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 14, 2018

"I think I get a "Girlfriend of the Year" award for this' So [my boyfriend] was home alone for a night or something, and he woke up, and apparently [his dog] had been sick. She's so cute-- like my favorite...

Popping the Bubble #11: Russian sanctions and the memo

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 7, 2018

Russian sanction In July of 2017, Congress voted in favor of the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) in an uncharacteristically unanimous vote of 517 to 5. As such, the act...

Ali Azeem will make his FHC Theater debut in this years musical, Peter Pan

Ali Azeem will make his FHC Theater debut in this year’s musical, Peter Pan

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief February 3, 2018

Armed with only the rudimentary experience of the fifth-grade required musical, Snow Biz!, sophomore Ali Azeem mustered up his courage and auditioned for this year's musical, Peter Pan. "I was very,...

Check out the School News Networks article on The Central Trend!

Check out the School News Network’s article on The Central Trend!

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 30, 2018

Last month, The Central Trend staff room had the pleasure of hosting Morgan Jarema, a writer for Kent County school news site, School News Network. Jarema sat in our classroom for an hour, interviewed...

Humans of FHC: Olivia Luplow

Humans of FHC: Olivia Luplow

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 27, 2018

"I took a trip with my mom last year to London and Paris for a week, and that was probably the best thing I've ever done. I'd never been to Europe; it's really cool to experience other cultures. [My mom...

Popping the Bubble #10: Kentucky shooting, government shutdown, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 24, 2018

North and South Korea will come together for Olympics In a rather shocking North Korea update, North and South Korea have decided to attend the opening and closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics...

Black Mirrors season four is disappointingly decent

Black Mirror’s season four is disappointingly decent

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 21, 2018

The glaring white letters of the TV show credits fade away, and all you are left with is a black screen. You are left only with yourself to stare into. A cold, unyielding, black mirror. It is from this...

Saturdays Random Acts of Talent is sure to wow audiences

Saturday’s Random Acts of Talent is sure to wow audiences

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 18, 2018

This coming weekend, the usual excitement is absent as the dark shadow of exam stress takes its place. In hopes of providing ample relief, FHC Theater program is holding its annual Random Acts of Talent...

Popping the Bubble #9: gerrymandering in North Carolina, net neutrality, and more

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 11, 2018

Thousands of Salvadoran Immigrants May Be Deported This past week the government announced their decision to terminate the TPS (Temporary Protected Status) that 200,000 Salvadoran immigrants benefited...

Silvestre and his children (pictured center) posing with the Argentinians they helped out

Rather than give his children any gifts for Christmas, Carlos Silvestre opts for giving back

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 9, 2018

No shimmering wrapping paper littered the floor. No new, gleaming toys accompanied the mess. Santa didn't leave any half eaten cookies. Santa didn't even leave any gifts. Not one. Spanish teacher Carlos...

The War on Drugs needs to be retired; its time for change

The War on Drugs needs to be retired; it’s time for change

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief January 8, 2018

As a country, we have certainly had a messy relationship with drugs of all kind. While this can likely be traced back several centuries, the most concerning and relevant events transpired at the close...

Different

Different

Reena Mathews, Editor in Chief December 31, 2017

I was different. That was certainly always apparent. But I hated it. And I hated myself, because deep down I resented my own disgust for being supposedly "different." I knew in my mind from the inspirational...

Load More Stories