Maguire Mahacek reflects on his treasured high school memories and looks forward to the future

Senior Maguire Mahacek and junior Hunter Robinson doing what Maguire calls their “famous, buttery handshake.”

Senior Maguire Mahacek has grown up walking through the halls of FHC. He looks back fondly at goofy, immature memories from middle school all the way through his time spent in high school, imparting some wisdom along the way.

“On my first day, [alumna] Jacob Demeter exploded a Cherry Coke on my new sweatshirt,” Maguire said. “Honestly, I was a problem in middle school, and so all of the older guys I knew told me I would get beat up. Turns out, not once did I—not once.”

Maguire has advice for the incoming freshmen that may put a larger perspective on the high school experience, particularly if the class experience is similar to that of 2021, his senior year, where one day, school is in-person and the next, it’s shut down for virtual learning due to the pandemic.

“I would give freshmen the advice that anything can happen and can impact how your childhood goes,” Maguire said. “Live every moment you have here like it’s your last day of school, and tell your friends you love them more.”

Despite the uncertainty and frustration the last two years have brought, Maguire still has favorite moments from high school, especially when it comes to Friday nights. 

“My favorite sports memory was probably being on the best football team in the state of Michigan that should’ve won the state championship,” Maguire said, “or being on the most prestigious and loveable baseball team on the planet. I would have to say my favorite memory would be coming back after football games and seeing everyone in the parking lot and then just getting ready [for] plans for the night and just having so much fun with the people that I grew up with.”

Maguire also leaves high school with gratitude and appreciation for his academic experience regarding four teachers in particular, although he finds it hard to pick a favorite class or teacher having known such an excellent teaching staff. 

“I’m going to have to give you my top four [teachers] in no particular order:” Maguire said, “Mr. Labenz, Mr. Scholten, Mrs. Whalen, and Mrs. DeMeester.”

Maguire knows that his school served him well and that he will have much to miss about his experience here.

“I’m going to miss all of the friendly faces and all the teachers and staff that have made my day countless times,” Maguire said. “I’m also going to miss the friendships I have made with all the people in my grade and the ones in the grades below. I loved this place, and there are countless people to thank for that.”

Currently, Maguire is looking onward to attending Miami University in Ohio. He will be attending with some other FHC students and plans to room with senior Ryan Demeter.

“I looked into [Miami University],” Maguire said, “and [I picked it because of] the amount of people at that school, and I fell in love with their campus.”

Maguire, at least initially, plans to major in journalism merely because he received a scholarship for it; eventually though, he thinks he’ll switch it to something else.

As far as long term career plans, he thinks he will probably end up somewhere in the realm of athletics.

“I would like to do something that involves sports,” Maguire said, “whether that’s in the managing aspect or broadcasting.”

But before all of that, he is just looking ahead to the near future of not only graduation, but enjoying his last summer with his current class.

His final parting words for all of the current students here combine longevity and perseverance. 

“[High school] goes by a lot faster than you think,” Maguire said, “but I would not change a thing. People in high school come and go, whether it’s friendships or relationships, so don’t overthink it. The real ones will be the ones that you are barely dragging across the graduation finish line with.”