Coco Corey

Homecoming Court Q&As: Coco Corey

What was your reaction to hearing your name called?

“I was so surprised—my hands flew over my mouth. When I was walking down with [senior] Ian [Goodman], I was still processing the whole thing—it was all so exciting. I just sat there for a moment in shock, and all my friends next to me were like ‘Coco! Coco!’ Afterward, I kept thinking about how if Mr. Labenz wasn’t doing the announcements, and if it would’ve been a teacher I had never had before, they would’ve read my name as Charlotte, and I probably wouldn’t have even realized until someone said ‘Coco, stand up,’ because I haven’t been called [Charlotte] in so long. It’s just all so exciting, and I feel so honored to be recognized with such an accomplished and inclusive group of kids.”

Why do you think you were nominated for court?

“This is a hard question to answer because I’m honestly not really sure. I’m on The Central Trend staff, so I’ve met a lot of sweet people there, and I help out with the student section every week, so that’s pretty social. Otherwise, I’d just say I’m a very talkative person, and no matter who sits next to me in class, I’m definitely going on about something random. I’m a people person, and I’ve always tried to branch out as much as I can.”

Who do you think deserves to be nominated that wasn’t?

“I could go on and on naming students, and I’d have a valid reason for all of them. We have such an amazing class, and I truly believe no matter who was called, they’d be a great representation of our school. Though I’m biased, I’d say one of [The Central Trend‘s] editors deserves to be recognized on Winterfest or Prom court because all three of them are angels and do a ton for our site. I also feel like anyone and everyone on the student council needs to be recognized because no Homecoming, Winterfest, or prom festivities would come together without their leadership and dedication. I really could craft this list all day—there are just so many people in our grade that are honorable and worthy of this sort of recognition and appreciation, so it’s impossible to answer this.”

What spirit day is your favorite, and why?

“Definitely PJ day.”

What does it mean to you to be nominated?

“It’s so exciting, and I’m really flattered to be recognized on court. All nine students that stood there next to me are so unique and respectable, and all in all, the Class of 2022 is incredibly kind and involved. I feel honored to be a part of this, and I’m so thankful for all the experiences and amazing people FHC has brought me. It means the world to be able to represent our school and our grade specifically.”

What is your go-to pizza topping?

“I know it’s boring, but I’m kind of a plain cheese type of person.”

If you were a song, what song would you be, and why?

“Right now, I’d say ‘Walking on Sunshine’ because it applies well to being a senior. Our class is really coming together in good spirit; a lot of excitement surrounds being a senior, and while it is bittersweet, I know our last year as a class will be full of love and memories.”