By trying something new, Heather Ringel unlocked her latest passion

Sophomore Heather Ringel (left) and one of her friends at the beach.

Sophomore Heather Ringel was involved in a ski incident before she ever made it to the slopes. 

On this fateful and educational day, Heather learned that before she ever even attempted to master skiing, she first had to master the ski lift. 

“[My friend and I weren’t] very good at the chairlift,” Heather said. “We were at the top [of the mountain] going off of [the chairlift], and my friend’s and my skis got tangled. We were [also] with our [ski team] coach, and we all fell down. So now [it’s a joke that] we took out the coach getting off of the chairlift.”

Besides this unfortunate chairlift accident and a few other falls on the slopes, Heather has stayed upright while learning how to ski. This is especially impressive considering that this FHC ski team season was her first time ever attempting the activity. 

Heather and some of her friends before a ski race.

For Heather, the journey to learn how to ski began when her close friend got skis for Christmas and consequently decided to join the ski team. Without any prior winter sport commitment, ski team seemed like a great opportunity to get involved at FHC. Thankfully, the team did not let her down. 

“The coaches really knew how to teach [my friend and me] how to ski,” Heather said. “The team was [also] really supportive [saying things like] ‘Don’t worry, you’ve got this’ [or] ‘You’re doing really well.’ [Learning with them] was a fun time.”

This environment allowed Heather to learn to do something she loves without pressure or stress. With the positive encouragement of her teammates and advisors, she ended up cascading down the slopes of Cannonsburg within only a day or two. 

Ski team and supportive friends allow Heather to constantly improve on and grow in this newfound passion, an opportunity she’s incredibly grateful for. She also gets to make memories race after race, which is by far her favorite part of the experience. 

[At practices], we have the ability to talk with our friends and talk to the coaches, and races are the same thing. You get [the opportunity] to hang out with your friends and help [cheer on] your team, and the team is really fun and nice, [so] I really like skiing so far.

— Heather Ringel

“[At practices], we have the ability to talk with our friends and talk to the coaches,” Heather said, “and races are the same thing. You get [the opportunity] to hang out with your friends and help [cheer on] your team, and the team is really fun and nice, [so] I really like skiing so far.”

Heather refers to this experience as quite the journey. Now skiing at Cannonsburg is one of her favorite weekend activities with her friends despite her not being a skier just a year ago. 

Even though her friends have been the main drive to participate in such an activity, it has also incredibly benefited Heather as an individual. She’s had a lot of fun exploring a new hobby and getting the opportunity to reach out of her comfort zone. 

“I really like [skiing], because before I [started to learn how to ski], in the winters I wouldn’t be doing anything,” Heather said. “So skiing [now] gives me something to look forward to and [is something] to do [in the winter] instead of sitting at home.”

By trying something new, Heather found a different group of people she loved spending time with and a hobby that she wants to continue all the way through high school. 

No matter what challenge, opportunity, or new hobby may present itself, she will always stand by the notion of taking a chance on something that may be an exciting and fun experience.

“If you want to try something new,” Heather said, “then I would definitely recommend it. [Something like ski team] isn’t too stressful or scary, and it’s really fun.”