The Broken Bottle Project strives to make an environmentally conscious district

For hundreds of years, pollution has been a significant problem for our environment around the world. Whether it’s from littering or from using disposable plastic, people’s waste is polluting the environment in one way or another and causing more harm than ever before. The Broken Bottle Project has been pursuing their mission to reduce the amounts of plastic pollution from the ecosystem by starting in the FH district.

Some of the founders of the group and graduates from the FH district Emily Jenkins, Meredith Howe, and Meghan Vonck devised the Broken Bottle Project into existence with the help of Bill Curtis, the Gone Boarding teacher. Inspired after seeing the district landfill waste, they decided they had to get involved and turn the waste situation around. With hopes high and eyes set on minimized plastic waste in schools, the group organized, gained steam, and started making their dreams reality.

“The original dream of the project was to create student awareness about how much plastic waste we create and how to be more conscious about limiting that waste,” senior and representative at FHE Madison Pullen said. “We are hoping to change students’ perspectives about the simple things they can do to limit their use of plastic water bottles.”

Many students buy plastic disposable water bottles in the cafeteria, which, although convenient for students, adds to the district landfill. Though it is not an easy task to motivate people to use reusable water bottles, the group is up for the job. To encourage the use of refillable water bottles, inform people, and fund their other goals, the group fundraises through sales during lunches.

“Our overarching goal is to sell our custom reusable bottles to raise money to install bottle refill stations in all three of the high schools,” Madison said. “We one day hope to continue this goal to other high schools in the district.”

Other than making room for water filter stations, the group is hoping to change people’s mindset and to make them see that they affect the world around them. Many people have already been impacted by the group, including the members.

“I really didn’t know how big of a difference that reducing plastic waste made,” junior Ellie Matelic said. “By joining the club and getting to know everyone else’s perspectives [I saw the effect plastic waste had].”

Plastic waste is definitely making a huge difference in both the FH district and around the world. Although it may seem difficult to change, what is necessary for the individual is simple: buy a reusable water bottle. Their work is far from over, but the Broken Bottle Project group is still passionate, and they hope to forever impact FHC and student’s mindsets when it comes to the environment.

“When people become conscious of their personal actions and how those affect the environment, they can become more eco-friendly when they address them,” senior and representative of FHC Paityn Wedder said. “By buying reusable water bottles, the amount of plastic entering landfills is significantly reduced. I hope that people become increasingly aware of their impact on the planet. Some think that one person can’t make a difference, but that is the furthest thing from [the truth].”