FHC Hockey looks towards Flint Powers in the State Semifinals

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

With four minutes to go, senior Jack Bowling put the puck in the back of the net to seal the deal for the boys hockey team. The Rangers defeated Jackson Lumen Christi 4-0 in the Regional Finals at Southside Ice Arena on Saturday night.

FHC will now move on to the state semis and take on the number one ranked team in the state, Flint Powers.

“We took them on in our third game of the season and came up short 2-1,” senior Nicko Withey said. “We were missing a couple of guys due to injury, so now that we’re back to full strength I like our chances going in.”

FHC started off slow on Saturday night, as the Titans controlled the play and kept the puck in the Ranger’s zone. Junior Carl Mielock stepped up big and made several big saves in the opening moments of the game. His big play continued throughout the night, as he kept the Titans scoreless regardless of the numerous shots they had on goal.

“We played great as a team,” Carl said. “Our defense came up big, and we stood strong. It was great to get the win and now Flint’s on the clock.”

FHC swung the momentum their way late in the first, as senior Nicko Withey and junior Charlie Brewer scored back-to-back goals in a matter of minutes. At the end of period number one, the Rangers led 2-0.

Carl continued to come up big in the second. The Titans hit the post twice, but Carl refused to let one in. It wasn’t until there were two minutes left when the Rangers increased their lead. While on a power-play, senior Zak Currie tapped in a put back off of a rebound. At the end of two, FHC led 3-0.

The third period was the most challenging for the Rangers. They were on their heels constantly, defending their net with everything they had. Again and again, Carl shut the Titans’ attacks down. With only minutes to go, Jack sealed the deal by adding a goal of his own. This secured a victory and Regional Championship for FHC.

“Flint’s up next, and we’re approaching it like any other game,” Nicko said. “They’re a good team, so we’ll have to play our best. We’re going to go in with energy and play our best hockey yet.”

With only one win standing between the Rangers and the state championship, they’re looking to go all out on Wednesday night.

“Winning and making it to a state championship my senior would mean everything to me,” Nicko said. “We have a great group of guys, and I think we have the team to make it happen.”

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

Entering his second year on staff, Sam has been given the task of leading his team of sports' reporters this upcoming year. Sam's favorite type of writing...