FHC varsity track: The tale of two teams

The girls track team will they look to follow up major success, as they have taken home the conference title the past two years. The leadership from their captains, and veterans, will be key to continue the winning tradition this season.

We have won the Conference the last two years, and the expectation is to continue this tradition,” said head coach Joel Harner. “We have strong leadership with returning captains Mimi Rave and Eryn Ho, along with 4-year, Varsity runners Amanda Dykehouse and Amytess Girgis to round out our quad-captain leadership.”

The girls team has something special and has more potential than most squads can muster.

The cool thing about the girl’s team is that they have the ability to come together to get it done,” Harner said. “If someone is injured or having a bad day, they can count on one of their teammates to have their back.”

The depth of the girls will be key in winning another conference title this season.

“We don’t have a specific strength,” senior captain Eryn said. “A lot of our athletes have participated in a lot of events to make up the points lost from the lack of people. I’m looking forward to having a really successful season and helping the underclassmen improve more and more throughout the year.”

The boys have different expectations coming into the season. After not winning any meets last year, the guys lack senior leadership and have struggled to pull numbers. This season, the numbers have increased and junior captain Hunter Campbell and sophomore captain Jake Ball look to the lead the team towards the top of the conference.

“I just need to step up and guide the upcoming freshmen especially in the absence of some of our seniors,” Hunter said. “We’re looking to improve and get plenty of more wins this year. We have new talent and new faces to look forward to this season.”

The competition will be strong from FHN, Ottawa Hills, and Cedar Springs, as the team will no longer get to race EGR or GRC due to the new conference.

The staff is optimistic about Hunter and his ability to lead this young team and put FHC boys track back on the map.

“Unlike other sports, I do not believe in seniors only being captains,” Harner said. “I tell the athletes at the start that everyone is eligible to be a leader, and we vote at our banquet for the next season. I feel Hunter demonstrated leadership qualities last season as well as Jake Ball who is a sophomore and our other Boy’s team captain.”

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Jake Heilman is now in his second year on the staff, and is taking over as the Sports Editor in Chief. He is currently looking to pursue both writing and...