Sushi Market offers a great first-time sushi experience

I have always been a bit wary of trying new foods. The idea of trying something that I may end up hating wasn’t too high up on my priorities, and I’d always wondered whether I was really missing out or not. However, I’ve recently decided to try more new foods and see what I like and what I don’t. Sushi was one thing I hadn’t eaten yet, and after a short walk through downtown Grand Rapids, I arrived at Sushi Market, centered in the middle of the Downtown Market.

Sushi Market’s seating consists of a row of chairs right in front of the restaurant, which fits in nicely compared to the other, more spread-out seating of the Downtown Market. With a bit of advice, my order consisted of salmon, tuna, and Alaska rolls. After a wait of about ten minutes, the sushi had been prepared. All of the seats in front of the restaurant were taken up, but luckily the upstairs seating of the Market offers a better atmosphere and view.

The avocado and cucumber complimented the salmon quite well, and I enjoyed the varying textures more than I thought. ”

I started out with the salmon rolls, as they are a relatively tame introduction to sushi. I dipped the first roll into soy sauce, and was pleasantly surprised. I’d always assumed sushi would have a less than tasteful texture, but it was quite the contrary. I also found a similar outcome with the tuna rolls, as they left me content and satisfied with my decision to try them. The Alaska rolls were the last that I tried, and offered up a different taste compared to the salmon and tuna variants. The avocado and cucumber complimented the salmon quite well, and I enjoyed the varying textures more than I thought. Whereas the avocado was creamy, the cucumber was crisp. This created a nice contrast and completed the flavor very well. I also decided to try a bite of pickled ginger– to put it bluntly, I’m not a fan.

Overall, my first experience with sushi was a very good one. The atmosphere of Sushi Market was pleasant and the service was solid; I’d most definitely come back again. However, I highly recommend sitting upstairs instead of in front of the restaurant. The view of the greenhouse and/or downtown Grand Rapids makes it more than worth it, and you’re given more of an opportunity to enjoy your food without people walking all around you. I don’t regret trying sushi one bit, and I’ve found a new food that I enjoy through my experience at Sushi Market. While my palate may not be sophisticated enough yet to tell the quality of the sushi I’d eaten, I definitely enjoyed it; I’d recommend it to anyone. Whether you’re a sushi lover or not, take a visit to Sushi Market.