Girls varsity soccer defeats Lowell 4-1

Sam Hopkins, Sports Editor

With one minute left in the first half, senior captain Bailey Korhorn slotted a shot into the bottom right corner to extend FHC’s lead to 2-0 before the half. FHC would carry this newfound momentum into the second half and seal the deal with two more of their own. The varsity girls soccer team would go on to defeat the Lowell Red Arrows 4-1 on Wednesday night at FHC.

“We played pretty well,” Bailey said. “We we’re working the ball around and finding open shots for ourselves. We had good build up play throughout the night, and we converted when we needed to.”

The Rangers seemed to control the play from the get-go. FHC sat back comfortably and dealt with a minimal Lowell attack. FHC was extremely effective on the offensive end with quick counter-attacks and switches of the field. Sophomore Stephanie Currie was able to get free early and often, jump starting the attack.

“We had good spacing and found feet with our passes,” coach Blair Lincoln said. “We have a lot to work on going forward, but we’ve had a good start. Our expectations placed on ourselves remain high.”

Junior captain Emma Yoder came up big on the defensive end. Although she let in a goal, she came up with several big saves to keep the Rangers lead at a substantial margin. Junior Natalie Lunt also had quite the came, as she matched up with Red Arrow attacker Amber Curtis.

Mid-way through the second half, junior captain Madeline Becker had the play of the game. From twenty-two yards out, Madeline struck the ball over the wall and past the keeper into the upper right hand corner of the net. The free kick given up by Lowell proved to be costly, as this extended the Rangers lead to 3-1.

“We need to continue working on our passing and connecting through the middle,” Madeline said. “If we continue putting in time and working hard, the results that we want will come.”

Bailey capped of the night with her second goal of the evening. Sealing the deal, FHC put the ball in the back of the net with only two minutes remaining.

FHC looks to take on Rockford away in their next matchup on Friday night at seven.

“We’ve got a good team, but there’s still a lot we can improve on,” Bailey said. “The sky’s the limit with this group of girls. We have so many commits, so when we play together we’re hard to beat.”