Freshman Volleyball cruises past FHN 2-0

After a loss to Forest Hills Northern in their conference opener, the Lady Ranger freshman volleyball team was looking forward to getting a second chance at the Huskies on the Ranger’s home floor. On Thursday night, they did it in convincing fashion. The Freshman Volleyball team obliterated the Huskies of FHN winning 2 out of the 3 sets, 25-16 and 25-12. Cora Kelly and Lily VanSkiver led the team to victory with great hits, but the main things that led FHC to a win was the teamwork, communication, and hard work.

Coach Kayleigh Vigh praised the ladies for preparing well and practicing hard to prepare for this big game.

“We focused in practice all week,” Vigh said. “Then we came into the game today ready, and since we lost to them last time it was motivation to beat them at home.”

The first set started off with a Husky miscommunication on a serve that led to a very early Ranger point, and would end up being a nightmare match for the Huskies. The Rangers looked like the better team the first set. They came out hot with great hits, serves and digs to get them early points. When it looked like the Huskies were going to make a comeback, the Rangers quickly countered with great returns, hits, and hustle plays.

Freshman Lily VanSkiver explains their mindset of how they played so hard.

“We all really wanted to win against Northern,” VanSkiver said. “So all of us got everyone excited to play which made us perform better.”

The second set was got closer at first, after yet another miscommunication by Northern to open the set. FHN then won a long rally, and it looked like the Huskies was going to carry over the confidence from that rally and would go on to win the set. But that’s not what happened. The Rangers started pulling away after great plays from Kelly and VanSkiver and eventually won by even more than they did the first set.

Cora Kelly shares how she hit the ball extremely well

“I think the key to a good hit is to have confidence in yourself,” Kelly said. “But you also need to jump high enough and be positive.”

The Rangers accomplished one of their main goals since their conference opening loss, and that was to beat the Huskies at their house. Now the Rangers move on to play the Northview Wildcats on the road, which will be much more challenging than playing them at FHC. This win keeps the Rangers only at one loss in conference play.

Coach Vigh gives kudos to the team’s effort and uses this game as example for where the effort level should be

“Giving the same level of effort that we did this game would be the key to the rest of the season,” Vigh said. “I couldn’t fix any fundamental things about their game just staying focused throughout the rest of the season.