Jordyn Carlson’s blog – Coaches of FHC

Name: Blair Lincoln

Sport: Boys Varsity Soccer

Years coached at FHC: 6

Why do you coach? What makes you want to come and work with a bunch of high schoolers?

“I feel that every student athlete deserves a good coach. Being a student athlete in high school is a crucial time in their life. I love the sense of community, the families, and to develop a relationship with my players that they can look back on through their life. I lost my father at the age of 17 and learned a lot about life. I have the experience as an athlete, a coach, and a family man, that I feel can add value to my community. I love working with kids and forming connections that I feel will impact them the rest of their lives. I often still think of my high school coaches and the impact they had on my life. I just want to pass it on and to share my gift.”

What do you do to motivate your team?

“I talk to them [the team] about tradition and the times ahead. It’s important for my players to know the past and how to handle adversity. We have 15 seniors so, motivation should never be an issue. I also write them a letter on every game day to keep them motivated and focused.”

What is your connection to the sport you coach? How did you get started coaching that sport?

“I started playing soccer in traverse city when I was 5. I coached high school soccer when I was 23, I’ve been coaching high school soccer for over 16 years.”

How do you help your team deal with losses?

“Transparency; I tell them the reality. I don’t tell them what they want to hear. We play to win and when we don’t we learn from it. We reflect, we collaborate, we learn, and we move on. The most important game is next game we are going to play.”

What do you think that everyone should know about coaching?

“As I look back to my five greatest influences in my life outside of my family, at least one or two of them was my coach.”

What is your favorite coaching memory?

“Winning a Division 1 boys state championship in 2015 and a Division 1 Girls state championship in 2016, as well as watching the players come back to watch our games as alumni.”

Can you give me a quote about coaching?

“Show me, don’t tell me.”