Cross Country at Portage Invite

This past weekend the Ranger cross country team traveled to Kalamazoo to run in the Portage Invitational. The race did not go as usual, as it was Homecoming weekend and only varsity runners were required to go. Despite the Homecoming dance, the runners still worked hard, as expected. The girls finished in 25th out of 44 teams at the Invitational and the boys finished in 29th out of 49 teams.

On the girls side, freshman Whitney Currie finished in 76th place with a time of 20:31. Behind Whitney was junior Susannah Bennett with a time of 20:50 and placing in 96th. In third for the girls was sophomore Nicole Marco with a time of 20:53 and finishing in 103rd. On the boys side, sophomore Gabe Carlson finished in 71st place with a time of 17:19. Behind Gabe was junior Geoffrey Batterbee with a time of 17:50 and placing 127th. In third for the boys was sophomore Kyle James-Heer finishing with a time of 18:09 and placing in 176th.

Despite the race being on the day of Homecoming, the runners managed to stick through it and finish the race strong. Seeing this, it shows the runners’ concentration and focus towards improving the team’s overall race. The Rangers’ next meet takes place this Saturday, October 14th at Gainey Athletic Fields.