Restaurant One Trick Pony amazes with its jazzy vibe

From its peculiar name to its unique decor, distinctive location, and overall individual style, the restaurant One Trick Pony is truly one-of-a-kind. A “one trick ponya�� is renowned for being known for only one trick or trade. Contrary to its name, this restaurant excels in so many areas and exceeds all around.

Perched on Fulton Street in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids, One Trick Pony immediately stands out due to its distinct exterior. The building that houses the restaurant has been certified as the oldest continually occupied building in the city of Grand Rapids. Combined with the up-to-date decor, One Trick Pony’s historical significance creates a unique experience for all.

The restaurant is adorned with a “wild westa�� theme equipped with horseshoes and checkered patterns decorating the whole building. Although it may sound tacky, the decor is incredibly charming and adds tremendously to the overall dining experience.

The minute the food arrived at my table, my stomach became a bottomless pit, allowing me to eat and eat without halt. My group ordered a variety of dishes off their extensive menu, including pasta, salads, pizza, burgers, and mac and cheese. As I tried a little bit of everything, I can honestly say that not a single dish was disappointing. Each bite I took was more delicious than the next. One Trick Pony truly delivers a spectacle for your taste buds.

One of the best features of the restaurant was its ability to serve for any occasion. As I visited for my Homecoming dinner, it provided a perfectly formal setting for a large dinner. However, I could easily see myself popping in for a quick bite on any other day of the week. The different seating areas and sections of the restaurant provide the perfect setting for any meal, from elaborate to easygoing.

One Trick Pony had a live band playing jazzy hits all night. The passion of the talented quartet was obvious as their tunes transported us into an alleyway bar in New Orleans thirty years ago. This band added extensively to our overall experience. Additionally, the staff was very polite and did everything possible to make our homecoming night perfect.

One of the best features of the restaurant was its ability to serve for any occasion. As I visited for my homecoming dinner, it provided a perfectly formal setting for a large dinner. ”

As for expense, the restaurant’s prices were a little on the high side, with entrees ranging from $15-$30. However, this is to be expected of any restaurant of high caliber, especially downtown. I thought the extra dollars were worth it for the unforgettable experience we got in exchange. In comparison to other trendy, high-quality restaurants, One Trick Pony lands in the exact same price range.

One Trick Pony delivers a sensory experience like no other in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids. Although I went for my Homecoming dinner, its vibrant atmosphere serves as the perfect location for any event or meal. With its live band, delicious food, polite service, and beautiful decor, you can’t go wrong with One Trick Pony.

Nisha Rajakrishna, Editor in Chief

Nisha Rajakrishna is a senior and entering her last year on staff as an Editor-in-Chief. Nisha loves to travel and experience new cultures, and in her...