Freshman Volleyball completes an outstanding season, slaughters Ottawa Hills 2-0

Freshman Cora Kelly and the Ranger Volleyball team made it a goal to win every game from the road game against Greenville until the end of the season. Tonight, they completed that goal in dominant fashion.

The Lady Ranger Freshman Volleyball team absolutely destroyed the Ottawa Hills Bengals Thursday night 2-0 in their season finale. Cora Kelly and Delaney Tucker were vital to the Ranger obliteration. Cora finished off an impressive season with her amazing hits, and Delaney made some very key passes which set up Cora and freshman Lily Vanskiver to make some big time plays hitting the ball.

Cora explains how she hit the ball exceptionally well tonight.

“The key to a good hit is you have to have confidence in yourself,” Cora said. “And you have to have a good jump and land on two feet.”

The first set was just plain domination as the Rangers were firing on all cylinders and won 25-7. This wasn’t just a one person effort. The whole team contributed to this set win and this game would have been a whole lot closer if it wasn’t for one of the members of the team. Obviously, people stood out, but it was the team who got the victory for the 1st set.

In the second set, the Bengals showed a lot more fight. For the first time in the match, they had gotten two consecutive points, and it looked like they were going to go on a little bit of a run. But just like the first set, the Rangers quickly adjusted to go on huge runs, leading the Rangers to a win, 25-8. One of the big keys in the second set was Delaney Tucker’s passing.

Delaney explains what the key was for her great passing.

“The key to it all was our coach Bri,” Delaney said. “She’s really improved all of us as players and help us finish the season great.”

Coach Kayleigh Vigh explains the hard work and preparation the Lady Rangers went through to go 2-0 this week.

“We’ve been focusing a lot about communication and non volleyball aspects,” Vigh said “So throughout practice we did different drills than we normally do to prepare us for this week.”

This has been quite the season for the Lady Rangers. It will be very interesting to see what this team will do in the offseason to get even better. They went undefeated since their tough opening loss to rival FHN, and they’ve done an amazing job to bounce back and never give up.

“I’m very happy with this season,” Vigh said. “And I’m very happy with the progress they [the team] made, not only as volleyball players, but as teammates and athletes in general.”