JV volleyball has an outstanding season

JV volleyball has an outstanding season

The FHC Ranger JV volleyball team had an overall incredible season; they played hard and accomplished a lot during their time together. The Rangers ended up in one of the top spots in the conference. They faced competitors of equal skill and came out on top most of the time, except for two games.

“It was a really intense season, but I wouldn’t have traded it for anything,” said sophomore Ashlyn Korpak. “I learned so much about myself and what it means to be on a team. But, I also learned a lot more about volleyball. I’m so proud of my teammates and how far we’ve come from the first day. I love them, I love the game, and I’m so happy I was lucky enough to play volleyball this year.”

The Rangers’ most difficult competition seemed to be Lowell. The Red Arrows had just as much talent as FHC, so it was a great match up of skill levels. In their first game against Lowell, FHC lost. The JV volleyball team soon came back to win against Lowell on their home court. Lowell had more of a stronger offense in the first game but in the second game, FHC had the strong offense. The only other team to beat FHC all season was Northview.

FHC went into the season with an unstoppable offense; the attack line was strong and tough. The attacks were constant and feared. However, they did have some struggles with the defense for a portion of the season. The team focused so much on their offense that they struggled a bit defensively. The beginning of the season was rough, as they let gave away more points. As the season went on, they progressed; the team was able to work more on their defensive skill and came back ready to put it to the test.

The players grew close during their time together. Despite some struggles within the team, they then overcame the issues and it ultimately made the team better. The Lady Rangers have improved as a team and as individuals.

“I really felt that as a player at the beginning of the year, I hadn’t really hit my growth as a hitter,” said sophomore Jasmine Dawson. “But, at the end of the season, I can finally say that I think I’ve reached the point where I can be confident in every hit.”

Head coach Natalie Roelfzema is very proud about how the team performed this season. She believed that the team had lots of talent this season and it sure showed on the court.

“The 2017 JV volleyball team had a stellar season,” said Roelfzema. “We had 28 wins and 9 losses on the season. This group of young women had great chemistry on and off the court. [The team] worked hard, were committed and present as a united front that correlated into a successful season. Throughout the season, I saw a lot of improvement as a coach. However, I mostly attribute that [growth] to the girls’ love of the game and will to continuously improve and become all around better volleyball players.”

Jordyn Carlson, Sports Reporter

Jordyn Carlson is a Junior at FHC, this is her second year writing for The Central Trend as a Sports Reporter. Jordyn wishes to continue writing all through...