Second half dominance continues as varsity football beats Mona Shores 28-21

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Senior Kade Shomin changed the game for the Rangers in a matter of six seconds. With the Ranger offense just tying Mona at 14-14, FHC’s defense was called upon again. On one of the first plays of the Sailors drive, Kade collapsed on an overthrown quick out and took it to the house for a pick six.

“From watching film I knew they liked to run their out routes,” Kade said. “My d-line did a great job pressuring the quarterback, and I saw my opportunity and just took it.”

That gave FHC a 21-14 lead and all the momentum with 6:49 to play in the third quarter.

Bryan Obermeyer

Mona’s ensuing drive came down into Ranger territory inside FHC’s 40-yard line. A low throw from the Sailor quarterback forced a falling catch from the Mona wideout, resulting in a fourth down and four for the Sailor offense.

FHC had been momentous on defense to that point but found themselves with an opportunity to shut down the Mona offense yet again. On a quick hitch route on the near sideline, the ball came out quick from the Sailor quarterback, but junior cornerback Cam Deines was there to knock it away and send FHC’s fan base in eruption.

Bryan Obermeyer

As the third quarter wound down, the Rangers found themselves with the ball with just under 25 seconds on the clock. After a couple unsuccessful attempts, there were just a mere nine ticks left on the clock.

On a double move from junior wide receiver Tate Hallock, junior quarterback Luke Majick delivered a perfect ball leading Tate to the inside of the field. The Sailors safety over the top was out of position and allowed Tate to get by himself in the open field and take it to the house for a 73-yard touchdown pass with just one second remaining in the third quarter.

Bryan Obermeyer

“We just do what we do,” Tate said. “Luke was able to get me the ball, and I was able to make a play out of it. I just saw a hole in the middle of the field and decided to cut it.”

Mona Shores would then put together a long drive that resulted in a Sailor touchdown, cutting the Ranger’s lead in half at 28-21 with 8:36 left now in the fourth quarter.

With clock management on the minds of FHC, They put together an extensive drive that wasted enormous amounts of time and gave the Sailor offense a chance with only 14.4 seconds left on the clock.

Bryan Obermeyer

The Mona Shores quarterback had proven his ability to throw the ball downfield, so nothing was out of the question for a high-threat offense. Senior Bryce Clay had other ideas.

On the last deep ball of the game, Bryce found himself in perfect position and intercepted the final pass while falling onto his back, securing an emotional FHC victory over Muskegon Mona Shores.

“This meant so much to our team,” senior captain Elijah Gurley said. “We were down at half, but we came out determined and played a hell of a half. I’m really proud of our effort to get us back here.”

FHC will now move on to host a Traverse City Central team next Friday night at 7:00 p.m. The incredible win will feed this team as they move further into the playoffs.

Bryan Obermeyer

“What you take from here is this, we won a great game in front of a big audience, against a very good opponent,” head coach Tim Rogers said. “Every round after this gets a little more stressful, and obviously it’s win or go home from here. Winning in an environment like this is going to be a lot of wind in our sails heading into the next one.”

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Jake Heilman is now in his second year on the staff, and is taking over as the Sports Editor in Chief. He is currently looking to pursue both writing and...