Division two Regional Final football predictions

Bryan Obermeyer

Bryan Obermeyer

Region One

Traverse City Central Trojans (8-3) at Forest Hills Central Rangers (11-0): Rangers 38-Trojans 14

FHC is coming off of arguably the biggest win in the school’s history. A 21-7 second half showing was the most dominant performance that the Rangers have played all year. The Ranger defense came up with two interceptions last week to continue their turnover streak this season. Traverse City Central clinched their spot in the Regional title game with a victory over the Titans of Traverse City Western 17-14. This week is going to be a high-scoring matchup. The Trojans are by no means a team to overlook, but FHC is coming off a win against the predicted overall winner in all of division two. Two big challenges to the Trojan offense have proven twice in a row that their playmakers can not handle sound defenses. They have gone from scoring 38 points a game in the regular season, to just under 20 throughout the start of the playoffs. FHC will continue to play stout defense and give their offense numerous chances at the end zone. Look for a major victory from the Rangers Friday night.

Region Two

Flushing Raiders (9-2) at Livonia Franklin Patriots (9-2): Raiders 21-Patriots 17

It has cost me over the last two weeks to pick against this Raider team. Throughout the first two weeks of the playoffs, they took down a perennial powerhouse in the Lowell Red Arrows, and avenged an early loss to Fenton this season by beating them in the District final 28-21. Despite the Patriots coming off of two big victories to Walled Lake Western and Livonia Churchill, the Raiders have put together too strong of an offensive stretch to doubt three weeks in a row. It will be a challenge to go into Franklin on Friday night, but after taking out a one-loss team on the road last week, the Raiders are battle tested and ready to scrap out a third consecutive playoff victory.

Region Three

Ypsilanti Lincoln Railsplitters (9-2) at Detroit Martin Luther King Crusaders (10-1): Crusaders 31-Railsplitters 21

Ypsilanti Lincoln extended their now nine game winning streak last week, this time knocking off the team with the most playoff points in division two in Wyandotte Roosevelt. A huge goal line stand late in the game kept the two point lead for the Railsplitters, and helped clinch their first district title in the school’s history. Martin Luther King blew out Detroit East English Village at home last week, and also holds a nine game winning streak going into the Regional final. Martin Luther King has emerged more and more as the season has progressed as another very serious state title contender, after a shaky start left a few minds in doubt. The Crusader athletes will be too much for the Railsplitters to handle, and their playoff inexperience will finally be back to show its face this week.

Region Four

Oak Park Knights (9-2) at Warren DeLaSalle Pilots (9-2): Pilots 42-Knights 20

Warren DeLaSalle has put on a playoff fireworks show, with two massive shutout victories to Ferndale, 46-0 and Port Huron Northern, 50-0. After a week one loss majorly hindered confidence in DeLaSalle, the Pilots have put together an unbelievable finish to the regular season and start to the playoffs. Oak Park has picked up serious momentum offensively after wins over Royal Oak and Brother Rice to start the playoffs. No matter how much energy the Knights defense can muster on Friday, the Pilot offense has only gotten stronger in the past four weeks leading up to this final. Averaging just over 37 points a game in the last four outings, this Pilot offense will not be slowed against an inferior Knight team.

Jake Heilman, Sports Editor in Chief

Jake Heilman is now in his second year on the staff, and is taking over as the Sports Editor in Chief. He is currently looking to pursue both writing and...