Player Profile: Zoe Lipke

Name: Zoe Lipke

Grade: Freshman

Sport: Varsity basketball

What is your outlook on the season?

“I feel like this season our team is going to be very successful. We have a lot of key players, and everyone on our team is able to contribute in some way. There are no “benchwarmers” because everyone will be able to give something special at every one of our games. I personally am very excited to be playing on the team because it is a great opportunity for me to be playing with girls who have so much skill on the court. Not to mention that everyone on the team is very supportive and I felt like I was part of the team in the first practice.”

What are some team goals this year?

“Some of our team goals this season are to go undefeated, and to make it to states, because what team wouldn’t want to do that. But overall I feel like we want to grow to be a strong team and start to work together nicely, which we have already been doing, because there are a few new faces on the team, me included.”

What is a personal goal you have this season?

“My personal goals for this season is to continue to grow in all aspects of the game, and prove myself to my team, coaches, and opposing teams that I deserve to be on the varsity team given that I am a freshman.”

Why do you play basketball?

“I still play the game because I love it. There is nothing I would rather do all weekend then go to a tournament. They are always so much fun with all the other people. I also love traveling to new places every weekend. I get to travel to new places doing the thing I love to do.”

What is the best part about being on the team?

“My favorite part of being on the team is definitely the people. All of the girls are so nice and welcoming. Whenever I see them in the hallways they always say ‘hi’, and it makes my day. There are also so many awesome people to look up to on the team, being the only freshman on the team it is like having 11 older sisters/mentors with me everyday.”

What is the best part about playing basketball?

“The best part of playing [basketball] is probably going to a game or a practice and being able to completely forget what is going on outside of it. It is my way of being able to relax and not stress about school or soccer.”

What is your biggest inspiration in sports?

“My biggest inspiration in [all] sports is probably my parents, they always are there to support me. But for basketball I have many. My current high school coach Kristina Prins was also my AAU coach for a year and she always pushed me to my full potential and would never let me slack off. She also taught me a lot about attitude and mindset going into games. Another one of my biggest supporters is Mr. George. He has worked with me in basketball before and helped me a lot. He has also taught me a lot about life and I know that he is always someone that I can talk to if I need help. I was going through kind of a rough spot during the freshman year and he was always there to help and keep me in check.”

What is a quote that inspires you?

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard, no matter how skilled you are if you have no desire to work then nothing will come of you, you are what you make yourself and hard work is one thing that defines you.”