Boys varsity basketball loses in crushing fashion to Traverse City Central 66-65


It was the most bizarre finish 24-year head coach Ken George had ever seen. Two of the most unlikely calls a situation like Saturday night’s 66-65 loss to Traverse City Central would ever encounter.

With just under ten seconds left in the fourth quarter, senior captain Ty George went to the line for his second free throw down one 64-63. After knocking down what would have been his eleventh free throw of the night, the official blew the shot dead and called Ty’s foot over the line.

FHC had no choice but to foul the Trojans and send them to the line for two more shots. After knocking both down, the Rangers had just over eight seconds to push the ball up the floor and attempt to make a three. Trojans 66-FHC 63.

FHC ran a play down the floor sending Ty on a screen for senior point guard Ryan Dunn. Ryan kicked the ball back out to Ty beyond the arc. After a pump fake, Ty pulled up for a three and got hit, sending himself to the line for three free throws and a chance to tie the game with just .2 seconds left on the clock.

Ty sank the first two free throws and was ready to attempt the third. He threw up the third shot simultaneous with a whistle being blown, signaling a Traverse City timeout. The shot went in.

No one from the FHC bench understood how there could be a timeout called in the middle of a free throw, but nonetheless it was granted and both teams went to their respective benches.

Ty went back out to the line for a fourth free throw, hit the rim and missed. Traverse City rebound, game over. 66-65 final.

“I was confident as I stepped up to the line that I was going to make all three,” said Ty, who finished 12/14 at the free throw line. “I made the first three and missed the fourth, but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.”

FHC found themselves down at the half for the second consecutive game, this time 28-27 Trojans. After a rough third quarter, the Rangers faced a 12 point deficit heading into the fourth.

FHC’s comeback started early in the fourth with four points from sophomores Jimmy Scholler and Mitch Wilkinson. After a big three point shot from Ty to put them down five, senior Andrew Tebeau cut the lead even more with a three point dagger himself. The Trojans were then only up two, 58-56.

“I was really proud of our guys tonight,” head coach Ken George said. “We were down twelve and went on an eight to zero run. We fought back and fought back while doing a ton of great things. We just have to find a way to get better defensively, and stay mentally tough.”

Ty is confident his team will find a way to bounce back in the upcoming games.

“I was shocked because I’ve never experienced or seen anything like that,” Ty said. “To lose like that is tough, but we won’t let something like this keep us down. I’m proud of the way we battled and fought back tonight. Most teams would break down after a few losses like this but we have some veteran guys and a veteran coach so I know we will respond well.”