Freshman boys basketball dominated Spring Lake at Cornerstone Tournament

On Tuesday afternoon, the freshman boys basketball team took on the Spring Lake Lakers at the Cornerstone Holiday Tournament where they played at FHN, winning with a final score of 68-56. Freshman Jeremy James came in clutch scoring 14 points in the game, as well as freshman Dallas Hopson scoring ten.

During the first quarter the boys started with a strong lead that put them up by ten points. The Lakers slowly started to come back, however, as the Rangers let up some pressure. The first quarter ended with FHC narrowly ahead with a score of 17-15. When the Rangers realized what they had to do to sweep the game, they created less chances for the Lakers to score by boxing out and getting rebounds quicker than before. At half time the Ranger boys were leading again, 38-29.

With several turnovers and missed opportunities to box out, the Rangers fell 50-45 at the end of the third quarter. As FHC turned up their intensity, got rebounds, and drove to the basket, they defeated the opponent in the last quarter. They switched from a man-to-man defense to a 2-3 defense which helped create more pressure on the Lakers towards the end.

As the freshman boys take on Godwin on Thursday in the second game of the Holiday tournament, they hope to add another win to their now 2-2 record.