Freshman boys basketball clinches Godwin winning 50-49

As the freshman boys Rangerball team had hoped, it earned another win against Godwin Heights on Thursday morning, winning narrowly with a final score of 50-49. The Rangers completed a successful tournament at FHN, winning both games played.

During the first quarter of the game, the Rangers struggled to put up points and were down 17-16. As halftime came around, Godwin had proved to be more dominant with the ball. Going into halftime down seven points proved to be a motivating factor for the boys to make a tough comeback. The first half was sloppy and not well organized, so the Rangers had to make a few major adjustments to pick the pace back up.

In the second half, FHC bounced back and were more organized on defense. This, in addition to knocking down more shots, left the Rangers trailing by only one point with 20 seconds left in the game. In Godwin’s out-of-bounds play in the last few seconds, the player dribbled the wrong way, resulting in a backcourt violation which gave FHC possession of the ball. Freshman Cam David then took the ball to the hoop for a tough finish that put the Rangers up for good with eight seconds left.

A huge impact for the Rangers was freshman Dallas Hopson who led the team in points, scoring 12. Freshman Carson Mocherman also chipped in with another ten points, as well as six rebounds and four blocks on defense.

With the outstanding bounce back, the Rangers go into the next game against Northview on Tuesday, January 9 with a solid 3-2 overall record for the season.