JV boys basketball defeats Cedar Springs 42-39

Led once again by a hot shooting night from sophomore John Corey, the JV boys basketball team got revenge on the Cedar Spring Redhawks with a 42-39 win on Tuesday night.

John, who is in his second year in the program, made 3 threes in the first half. He also added a floater giving him 11 points heading into the half – he finished with 18. Although they only won by 3, the Rangers had a comfortable lead throughout most of the game. John wasn’t the only one contributing, though.

Freshman Chris Battiste put together a nice stat line in all facets of the game. Chris made a big three at the end of the first half on a well-executed zone play. Also, freshman Jacob Ervin with 12 points was crucial on the glass tonight against a big Cedar Springs team that abused them on the glass in the two team’s first meeting.

The Rangers sat in a 1-3-1 defense during most of the game, and it paid off. Cedar had some small guards who had trouble getting it past sophomore Jay Weiner, the top guy in the zone. On offense, freshman Jonah Spates did a nice job of moving the ball and finding the open guys against the Cedar zone.

After beating Greenville last week in a close game, the Rangers have won 4 of their last 6 games. Early in the year, they couldn’t put together a full game, but they are starting to turn the page on that.

FHC’s next game is this Thursday against Lowell — in the first meeting between the two teams, the Rangers were victorious.