Hockey falls to West Ottawa 3-2 in overtime

Tommy Spaletto, Sports Reporter

The winning streak for the Ranger hockey team unfortunately came to an end last night, as FHC was defeated by West Ottawa in overtime by a score of 3-2. Freshman Mason Kelly continued to be a bright spot for the team last night, as he scored in his third consecutive game with 1 goal. Sophomore Peter Bardelli also scored for the Rangers late in the game to eventually send FHC into overtime with the Panthers. Young players frequently scoring is a good sign for the future of this young team.

The first period was a quiet one for both teams and no goals were scored. Both teams defended their zones very well heading into the second tied at 0. West Ottawa struck first with a goal in the second period, but Mason Kelly responded later in the period to knot things up at 1 heading into the third. Mason has been a key offensive addition to the team after coming back from an injury earlier in the season. In the third, West Ottawa struck again to make it 2-1, but Peter Bardelli came up big to tie the game at 2 with only a few minutes to go in the game and eventually send this showdown into overtime. The Rangers got tired from being in their defensive zone so long, which eventually led to a Pather goal and ended the game.

This loss hurts the Rangers, but they have an opportunity to bounce back Saturday in their regular season finale against the East Kentwood Falcons on the road. EK won the last matchup 2-1, so it will be interesting to see how the Rangers come out to start the game and if they can keep their intensity throughout the entirety of the game. This game against EK not only will be big to get revenge on the Falcons from last game, but it would be a big win to head into playoffs on.