Girls freshman basketball is defeated by Northern 30-25 in final game of season

Last night in its last game of the season, girls freshman basketball faced off against its toughest rival: Forest Hills Northern. Last time the two teams played, the Rangers were defeated 40-16 at Northern’s home court. This game ended much closer at 30-25. Despite the huge improvements throughout the season, the girls were still unable to win a single conference game this year.

Freshman Ella Sloat was once again the leading scorer for the Rangers, as she was able to put 9 points on the board. Freshman Morghan Tilton also had a successful night driving to the hole.Northern dominated on both sides of the ball during the first quarter, which led them to be up 10-3 after the clock timed out. The Ranger defense in the second quarter did not let the Huskies gain a bigger lead, and they went into the locker room still down by 7, 17-10.

The improved defense in the second quarter started to affect the offensive end of the court. The Rangers then finally started to cut down the Husky lead. The Rangers went on a scoring streak, and were able to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Coming right off the basket, Morghan was able to steal the ball and go up for a layup. While she was shooting a foul was called and the basket was good. This put the Rangers above 21-19 with four minutes left in the game. However, this didn’t stop the Huskies, they only went harder. The Rangers finally outscored the away team 11-8 to put themselves down by only two possessions, 25-21. Both defenses in the final quarter played hard and only allowed 9 total points to be scored. Central had closed the gap to three points, but a Northern buzzer-beater secured the win for the Huskies, ending it 30-25.