State Championship Q and A with soccer coach Blair Lincoln

TCT: When did you first start to think that this team could win a state championship?

Coach Lincoln: In June Max Postlewait, Anthony Bowie and I had a conversation about the upcoming season.  We set 5 goals.  Win conference, win districts, win regionals, win the state championship, and we don’t lose a game.  We dreamed big and had high expectations about this season.  We knew all along we could do it.  It was about staying healthy and executing every single week of the season.  We only were concerned about the next game, that focus allowed us to eliminate distractions and stay in the moment all season long.

TCT: What set this team apart from others you’ve coached?

Coach Lincoln: This team was a group of friends with great families that was senior heavy with 12 seniors.  Their leadership and previous playing experiences at high levels set the table for the makings of a great season.  It was a truly a band of brothers.  I saw a Homecoming picture in one of the homes we were at for a team dinner.  It was 10-12 of our players and their dates to homecoming.  These players were friends on and off the field.  That bond ensured a fight for each other.  They weren’t going to let the guy next to them or their friends down.  I have never been a part of a team that seemed like a huge group of friends who would fight to the end unconditionally for the guy next to them.  That is why we won the state championship.

TCT: Where does Anthony Bowie rank among the high school soccer players you’ve watched/coached?

Coach Lincoln: Anthony is a very special player and one of the best natural finishers that I have ever coached.  He is explosive and can change a game at any given moment.  His speed, size, and soccer IQ ranks him as the best player in the state and one of the best players I have ever coached.  His 42 goals and 26 assists were a biproduct of his effort, size, speed, leadership, and soccer IQ.  What makes Anthony great are his intangibles.  He has the full package which is why he was named Mr Soccer.  Above all what makes him great is the class he carries himself with and being a great student athlete with a 3.927 GPA.  He is the real deal, when he spoke the boys listened….a true leader who is recognized by his teammates, opposing players, and opposing coaches as the best player in the state.   

TCT: What makes him so good?

Coach Lincoln: What makes him so good are the examples above and his unselfishness.  When players would man mark him or try to double team him other players would step up and produce from his assists.  He holds school records for most assists, total points, and ties for most goals in a season with 42.  After the state final Canton’s coach wrote that Anthony is the best player they faced all year.  When opposing coaches say that after a game of that magnitude you can’t argue with them.

TCT: What was the mood/atmosphere on the bus ride home from Brighton?

Coach Lincoln: The atmosphere on the bus ride home from Brighton was electric.  10-12 players never sat down the entire way home.  Marshall Brummel was delivering play by play of the Forest Hills Northern penalty kick shoot out and everyone was going crazy.  Cars were honking as they passed by the bus.  After the Lowell exit we saw two digital billboards that said “Congrats FHC Soccer State Champs”.  Unbelievable, the outpouring of support was coming from other communities and players of different teams from around the state.  We sang, we cheered, we had fun, we yelled.  A bus ride I will never forget.

TCT: Who was this team’s emotional leader and how did they lead?

Coach Lincoln: I would say that our captains, seniors, and goal keepers were all emotional leaders this year.  The captains led with strong on field performances which came from playing at high levels all year round.  The seniors led with experience and constantly creating the bond between all players on the team.  They also connected our team to the student section.  The student fan base was our 12th man this year.  The goal keepers developed a strong partnership that was cool to watch develop throughout the season.  They were challenged to constantly communicate, lead, and organize from the back.  They did that very well as the season went on.

TCT: How important was Jacob Ireland to the team’s success?

Coach Lincoln: Jacob Ireland was a captain who has a very high soccer and is well respected from every player on the team.  He was our 3rd leading point scorer in goals, assists, and total points.  He was all conference and all district and will be playing at Davenport University next year.  He never missed a match or practice all year.  He was 100% engaged and dedicated all season.  I couldn’t ask for anything more out of Jacob at any given time this year.  He was always going hard!

TCT: What did you do to celebrate the state championship on Saturday night?

Coach Lincoln: Everyone went to Matt Zadel’s house and ate 400 pizzas and cake.  Parents, players, and coaches all attended.  We stared at the trophy and took pictures.  I then went home to meet my wife who flew in from Nashville early Saturday morning for the game.  I walked in the door with the trophy and my family looked at me like I was a super hero.  Finally, what this community and all the families have been working so hard for.  Validation that we are the best soccer program in the state.  What a memorable night and entire day of emotions, cheers, celebrating, and togetherness.  And…..it all felt scripted like we know we were going to win that night.  No doubt in any of the players or coaches mind.