• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

JV tennis goes 7-1 on the season

Going into the 2018 season, JV girls tennis coach Humzah Azeem was looking to prepare players for future success.

“Our goal this season was to set a solid foundation for the girls to have for their future endeavors in tennis,” Azeem said. “We were most certainly able to achieve this goal through diligent practicing, while making sure to keep a light atmosphere at all times. We were able to help them develop proper strokes and work on doubles tactics that will definitely serve as assets in the future. Our only regret is that the season was not long enough to continue on the trajectory we were headed.”

The coaches were able to achieve this goal easily and earn a 7-1 record in the process. Azeem said they were able to see the culmination of the season’s work when they placed second at their conference tournament, being denied first by just one point. Not only do the coaches think this is the season’s greatest accomplishment, but the players agree as well.

“I believe that our team’s greatest accomplishment was our last tournament,” said sophomore Mya Parshall. “We all tried really hard and we ended up coming in second at the end of the tournament.”

An overall successful season for the Rangers leads to high expectations for the future. But as a coach, Azeem is pleased with the overall effort. 

“We were able to see each girl leave everything they had out on the court,” Azeem said, “and as a coach there isn’t much else you can ask for.”

Alaina Tubbs, Sports Reporter

Alaina Tubbs is a senior going into her third year on the Central Trend staff as a sports reporter. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, bouldering,...