• March 254/12: M-STEP for 11th Graders
  • March 254/11: ACT WorkKeys for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: No school for 12th graders
  • March 254/10: SAT for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: PSAT for 9th and 10th Graders
  • March 254/20: Prom
  • March 253/28-4/7: Spring Break

Matthew Mahoney

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief

Matthew is a senior at FHC and is on his third year on the FHC Sports Report, his second as Sports Editor in Chief. He has been the captain for varsity soccer for the past two years, and he also plays club soccer for Michigan Fire in the spring. In the winter, on top of balancing club soccer, he plays basketball for the school. He loves to watch soccer, basketball, and football, and he also loves to root on Marquette, Michigan, and Arsenal.

Favorite part about the Sports Report: Just hanging out with the other sports reporters in the classroom. We have built a family-like atmosphere and culture the past few years, and it's a very nice thing to look forward to at the end of my day.

Hobbies/ Interests: Hanging out with friends, playing/watching sports, and running.

Favorite Punctuation Mark: The comma - I am a fierce proponent of the oxford comma.

All content by Matthew Mahoney
The new home of the FHC Sports Report

The new home of the FHC Sports Report

Matthew Mahoney and Jacob Ervin February 10, 2021

Since its inception in 2017, the FHC Sports Report has been a staple of the Forest Hills Central community. Our extensive coverage on FHC athletics has allowed families to stay informed on their relatives,...

Jaden Talley

Jaden Talley

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 20, 2021

https://youtu.be/fXlvdLVntjE

2020 Fall Sports Senior Spotlight

2020 Fall Sports Senior Spotlight

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 14, 2021

As 2020's fall sports seasons have wrapped up for all teams at FHC, we look to interview some of this year's top seniors from the fall season and hear about their experiences as an athlete at FHC.

Tiger Woods: the greatest golfer of all time?

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 4, 2020

Tiger Woods is the greatest of all time, plain and simple.  Despite having one less major crown than Jack Nicklaus, his counterpart in the GOAT conversation, Tiger reigns above all (besides being tied...

Top 5 Winners

Top 5 Winners

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 30, 2020

The results for the FHC Sports Report’s Top Fives from Fall Sports are in. Tune in to our video to see who won and our editors' thoughts! Thank you to all who voted, and congratulations to our winners! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ZdPATZad8

FHC Sports Report Presents: Top Fives From Fall Sports

The FHC Sports Report presents the Top Fives of the Fall sports season. We compiled the biggest sports moments, athletes, and teams of Fall athletics into our Top Fives lists. Make sure to vote for your...

NBA Draft Preview

NBA Draft Preview

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 18, 2020

In today's episode, Leo Treash and Sam Tuori join Matthew, Joe, and Pierson as they talk about the Pistons, the NBA Draft, and who their top guys and sleepers are. https://open.spotify.com/episode/0eIO7YXWGx9RE0Xxq2jgKH?si=s7n6OrnsRQOCQDsfNW94Tg

Mona Shores Reactions, CFB and CBB, and the Masters

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 13, 2020

In today's episode, we open up with our reactions and thoughts from last Friday's heartbreaker for varsity football against Mona Shores before getting into the struggles of Michigan and Michigan State...

Junior Benny Scholler consoles senior Jonah Spates after the game is called.

Controversial call ends season for varsity football in 28-25 loss to Mona Shores

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 8, 2020

It seemed all but over. With 1:45 to go and the Rangers trailing 28-17, a good portion of the away crowd dispersed, assuming there was no hope left. After a quick drive led by senior quarterback Maguire...

Mona Shores Playoff Preview

Mona Shores Playoff Preview

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 6, 2020

For our first episode back in the studio, we bring you a preview on tonight's varsity football District Semifinal against the Mona Shores Sailors. Sports editor-in-chief Matthew Mahoney and sports reporters...

Dominant defensive performance propels varsity football to 24-6 victory over FHN in Pre-District round

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 1, 2020

On Friday night, the key to taking down the Huskies was containing their elusive quarterback in Trinidad Chambliss. While FHN has other playmakers on their roster, Chambliss makes the team tick, and if...

Hunter Robinson explodes for four touchdowns in 35-14 win over Lowell

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 25, 2020

On Friday night, the stakes couldn’t have been higher for varsity football. It was the homecoming game against a rival school, and with a win, the Rangers had a chance of winning a share of the conference...

Clay Udells touchdown highlights varsity footballs 37-10 win over Northview

Clay Udell’s touchdown highlights varsity football’s 37-10 win over Northview

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 19, 2020

Friday night’s contest between varsity football and the Northview Wildcats was about more than football. Senior Clay Udell is one of the biggest FHC fans of all time, supporting each and every Ranger...

Mason Wiltz secures 17-9 win for varsity football over EGR on Senior Night

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 11, 2020

With just over a minute to go in Friday’s contest between varsity football and East Grand Rapids, the Rangers held a tight 17-9 lead; senior Mason Wiltz and junior Will Richardson wrapped up EGR quarterback...

Slow start haunts Rangers as varsity football falls 35-14 in battle of unbeatens

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 4, 2020

The first quarter of Friday’s contest between the varsity football team and Byron Center buried the Rangers in a hole that they could not eventually climb out of, resulting in a 35-14 loss. After a kickoff...

Success on the ground leads to 28-13 win for varsity football over FHN

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 27, 2020

The offensive trio of juniors Jacob Bonnett, Hunter Robinson, and senior Maguire Mahacek led the charge in the running game, rushing for a combined 184 yards that tore apart the Forest Hills Northern defense....

Varsity football opens season with first win over Grand Rapids Christian since 1995

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 20, 2020

The story of Friday’s game against Grand Rapids Christian was the second half, where the Rangers scored 21 unanswered points to defeat the Eagles 21-13. With less than two weeks of practice and no preseason...

Q&A with head hockey coach Kevin Zaschak on stepping down from the program

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 10, 2020

Head hockey coach Kevin Zaschak has been an integral part of the FHC athletic program for the past six years. Whether it was at summer strength and conditioning, hockey games, or volleyball games, Zaschak...

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode V

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode V

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief May 31, 2020

Welcome back to the FHC Sports Report Podcast w/ Matthew, Tommy, and Sam! Today the guys test out a new setup together and discuss the latest sports news along with ESPN's ranking of the head football...

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode IV

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode IV

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief May 22, 2020

Welcome back to the FHC Sports Report Podcast with Sports Editors in Chief Matthew Mahoney and Tommy Spaletto, featuring ex-Sports Reporter Sam Tuori. In today’s episode, legendary high school basketball...

Peter Bardelli

Peter Bardelli

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief May 16, 2020

Sport: Boys Lacrosse What does missing out on your Senior lacrosse season mean to you? "Missing out on my senior year of lacrosse honestly sucks, I wish I could get one more game or practice with the...

Lindsey Cool

Lindsey Cool

Sport: Crew Accomplishments: I was chosen as crew team captain for senior year, we won a state championship race freshman year, and I won the women’s coxswain event at the Ergatta junior year. Future...

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode III

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode III

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief May 13, 2020

Welcome back to the FHC Sports Report Podcast with Sports Editors in Chief Matthew Mahoney and Tommy Spaletto, featuring ex-Sports Reporter Sam Tuori. In today's episode, we discuss the return of some...

Kendra Wolffis

Kendra Wolffis

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief May 8, 2020

Sport: Crew What does missing out on your Senior crew season mean to you? "Missing out on my senior crew season means losing the opportunity to go to practice and row with my best friends every day. ...

Andrew Preston

Andrew Preston

Sport: Boys Lacrosse Accomplishments: All-Region Future Plans: Playing lacrosse at Western Michigan University What does missing out on your senior lacrosse season mean to you? "It means...

Sarah North

Sarah North

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 30, 2020

Sport: Crew Future plans: Attending Arizona State University in the Fall What does missing out on your Senior crew season mean to you? "Everyone always told me that the senior season was the best...

Richie Alvarez

Richie Alvarez

Spring sport: Boys Lacrosse Accomplishments: All-Conference and All-District for soccer Future plans: Civil Engineering at Hope College What does missing out on your senior lacrosse season mean...

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode II

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode II

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 29, 2020

Welcome back to the FHC Sports Report Podcast with Sports Editors in Chief Matthew Mahoney and Tommy Spaletto, featuring ex-Sports Reporter Sam Tuori. In today's episode, we discuss our thoughts on...

Harrison Hill

Harrison Hill

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 23, 2020

Sport: Crew Accomplishments: Rowed in the 2018 Head of the Charles, 2018 Jr. 8 state runner up, 2020 Crew Co-Captain, 4 year Honor Roll Student Future Plans: Attending MSU What does missing...

Jackson Clay

Jackson Clay

Sport: Boys Lacrosse Accomplishments: All-Conference for Football, All-Conference, All-State, and All-American in Lacrosse Future Plans: Playing lacrosse at High Point University   What...

FHC Sports Report Presents: Senior Spotlight

With the spring sports season being canceled by MHSAA, so many of our senior athletes here at FHC didn't get their last season of high school sports. We know this is tough, so we wanted to reach out to...

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode I

FHC Sports Report Podcast: Episode I

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 22, 2020

Welcome back to our podcasts on the FHC Sports Report! We'll be on here at least once a week with a video podcast, bringing in multiple guests and discussing sports along the way. 0:00 - 0:48: Intro 0:48...

My Life in Sports

My Life in Sports

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 16, 2020

Fellow sports editor in chief Tommy Spaletto and I, along with Mr. George, were brainstorming over video chat on what we could possibly write about on the FHC Sports Report with no actual sports taking...

Top 5 Winners

Top 5 Winners

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 8, 2020

The results for the FHC Sports Report’s Top Fives From Winter Sports are in. After over 2,200 votes across ten different categories, we have our winners as follows below: Most Entertaining Game: Boys...

FHC Sports Report Presents: Top Fives From Winter Sports

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 5, 2020

The FHC Sports Report presents the Top Fives of the Winter sports season. We compiled the biggest sports moments, athletes, coaches, and teams of Winter athletics into our Top Fives lists. Make sure to...

Top 5 Underclassmen

Top 5 Underclassmen

Matthew Mahoney, Tommy Spaletto, and Jacob Ervin April 3, 2020

Peyton Price Freshman Peyton Price entered a varsity bowling team full of upperclassmen, but the Rangers just needed that extra piece to the puzzle to really push for the accolades they wanted to attain....

Top 5 Toughest Losses

Top 5 Toughest Losses

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief April 1, 2020

Wrestling vs. Caledonia  In the first round of Districts, the Rangers found themselves hosting Caledonia for a berth in the championship dual against Rockford later that night. Early on, there were...

Hockey finishes season 15-1 to overcome slow start

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief March 16, 2020

Senior Cole Beaufait, junior Mason Kelly, and senior Ryan Jeffreys led the FHC hockey team offensively all year long, but it took some time for them to settle in. After losing three of the first four games...

Big Ten Tournament Preview and Predictions

Update from 3/12/2020: Due to the threat of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 Big Ten Tournament has officially been canceled. The Big Ten will not crown a champion, unlike the ACC who declared regular-season...

Hockey suffers season-ending 5-0 loss to GR Catholic Central in Regional final

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief March 5, 2020

Ultimately, it just wasn’t FHC’s night on Wednesday against Grand Rapids Catholic Central. Despite junior Gavin Brady’s best efforts in between the pipes, the Cougars finally started to break through,...

Hockey advances to Regional Final with win in 3-2 thriller over Jackson Lumen Christi

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief March 2, 2020

Freshman Sammy Mielock’s game-winning goal late in the second period propelled the Rangers to close out the Regional semifinal in a thrilling end-to-end game; players on both FHC and Jackson Lumen Christi...

Cole Beaufaits dominant performance leads hockey to narrow 6-5 win over Rockford

Cole Beaufait’s dominant performance leads hockey to narrow 6-5 win over Rockford

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief February 24, 2020

With the hockey team looking to cap off the regular season with a win over Rockford, senior Cole Beaufait led the Rangers with his three goals and three assists to a 6-5 win over the Rams. Coming into...

FHC offense dominates as hockey defeats Hudsonville 4-2 on Senior Night

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief February 16, 2020

For the second consecutive game, senior Cole Beaufait assisted his teammates three separate times, catapulting him into first place on the team with his 25 assists on the season. There was, however, one...

Hockey clinches conference championship with 7-2 win over Lowell/Caledonia

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief February 15, 2020

Thanks in large part to junior Mason Kelly’s four goals and two assists, the hockey team took down the combined Lowell/Caledonia team on Wednesday night to reach 19-4 on the season, clinching the title...

Hockey makes statement with two wins in MIHL Showcase

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief February 10, 2020

In two games against some of the toughest competition in the state, the offensive trio of junior Mason Kelly and seniors Cole Beaufait and Ryan Jeffreys combined for ten total points to propel the Rangers...

Mason Kellys OT game-winner gives hockey 14th win in 15 games with 2-1 win over Grandville

Mason Kelly’s OT game-winner gives hockey 14th win in 15 games with 2-1 win over Grandville

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief February 3, 2020

With just over three minutes remaining for the Rangers to find a goal in overtime and momentum on their side, the Rangers had the Grandville Bulldogs buried in their own zone. Via senior Ryan Jeffreys,...

Mason Kelly leads hockey to 6-3 comeback win over Grand Rapids Christian

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 29, 2020

After trailing 1-0 after the first period of play, junior Mason Kelly scored three goals to complete yet another hat trick and lead the Rangers to their seventh consecutive win with a 6-3 result against...

Hockey overcomes slow start to take down Mona Shores 5-2

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 23, 2020

The play of senior Cole Beaufait and sophomore Jake Munger were the deciding factors in the matchup between varsity hockey and Mona Shores, as Cole’s hattrick and Jake’s 28 saves would prove to be...

Cole Beaufaits two goals lead hockey to 3-1 revenge win over FHNE

Cole Beaufait’s two goals lead hockey to 3-1 revenge win over FHNE

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 21, 2020

In a rematch of FHC’s heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Forest Hills Northern/Eastern less than a month ago, senior Cole Beaufait scored two goals and recorded one assist to put the Rangers in the driver’s...

Eight different players score as hockey dominates East Kentwood in 9-1 win

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 16, 2020

Widespread offensive contribution from eight different goalscorers—including a first career goal from junior Ryan Demeter—led to a quick lead for the FHC hockey team in the first period against East...

Hockey takes down East Grand Rapids 3-2 on miraculous game-winning goal with four seconds left

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 11, 2020

Senior Ryan Jeffreys was ultimately the hero for the FHC hockey team against East Grand Rapids on Friday night, as his goal with 4.4 seconds remaining in regulation gave the Rangers the 3-2 win in one...

Boys freshman basketball dominates Cornerstone Holiday Tournament en route to championship win

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 9, 2020

Freshman Levi McKenzie led the boys freshman basketball team to two crushing wins over Allendale and Northpointe Christian to clinch the title in the Silver Division. In the two games, Levi combined for...

Hockey rebounds with two resume-building non-conference wins over Grand Rapids Catholic Central and Big Rapids

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief January 7, 2020

Junior Mason Kelly once again propelled the FHC hockey team to victory this weekend, with his goal calling quits on the game as he scored in sudden-death overtime against Big Rapids to secure a 2-0 weekend...

FHNE comes from behind to top FHC hockey in heartbreaking 3-2 loss

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 30, 2019

With five minutes to go in Saturday’s rivalry game between the hockey teams from FHNE and FHC, the contest was tied at two goals apiece. After a turnover from FHC, FHNE’s Cameron Cain received the...

Hockey extends winning streak to six games with wins over Birmingham Unified and Northville

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 24, 2019

Junior Mason Kelly propelled the hockey team to two wins in a weekend for the second time in a row, scoring a total of six goals and recording three assists throughout the two games. Just like the week...

Mason Kellys five goals leads hockey to two high-scoring conference wins over East Kentwood and Lowell/Caledonia

Mason Kelly’s five goals leads hockey to two high-scoring conference wins over East Kentwood and Lowell/Caledonia

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 16, 2019

Junior Mason Kelly hit the back of the net five times on Saturday night en route to a 7-1 victory over Lowell/Caledonia. Mason has been an integral piece of the team once again this year, scoring 13 goals...

Hockey climbs back to .500 with two wins on east side of the state

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 10, 2019

Coming off a demoralizing loss to Jenison—a team the Rangers expected to beat—FHC traveled to the east side of the state to take on Walled Lake Northern and St. Frances (Allen Park) Cabrini in hopes...

Top Fives From Fall Sports Winners

Top Fives From Fall Sports Winners

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 3, 2019

The results for the FHC Sports Report’s Top Fives From Fall Sports are in. Thank you to all who voted, and congratulations to our winners! Toughest Loss and Most Entertaining Game: Varsity football...

Hockey bounces back from slow start to the season, goes 1-1 against rival East Grand Rapids and Jenison

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief December 2, 2019

After starting the season slowly with two losses against Byron Center and Allen Park, the hockey team took on East Grand Rapids and Jenison in back to back days on Friday and Saturday night. With key players...

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 26, 2019

Hockey drops opening weekend games with two narrow losses against Byron Center and Allen Park

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 25, 2019

Playing without two of its main contributors on offense, the hockey team fell in both of its games this past weekend at the hands of Byron Center and Allen Park. The game against the Bulldogs of Byron...

Hockey looks to use experienced returners to make a deep postseason run

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 22, 2019

After defying expectations and going 17-5-2 last year, the hockey team is looking to use the momentum from the past season and a plethora of returners to improve upon the success from last year. The team...

Top 5 Clutchest Moments

Top 5 Clutchest Moments

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 21, 2019

JT Guntern Goal vs. Portage Northern After starting the season with a 2-5-3 record, boys varsity soccer strung off three consecutive wins following the beginning of its “Revenge Tour,” including...

Varsity football suffers 31-6 season-ending loss in District final to Portage Northern

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 11, 2019

Friday night was a story of four very, very different quarters. Matching up against one of the best teams in the West Michigan area in Portage Northern, the Rangers let up zero points in the first and...

Varsity football playoff preview: Portage Northern Huskies

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 7, 2019

The varsity football team is on a roll; after losing a heartbreaker in Week 2 to Grandville, the Rangers have gone 6-1, with the sole loss coming at the hands of the OK White conference champion Cedar...

Q&A with varsity footballs Jackson Clay

Q&A with varsity football’s Jackson Clay

In Friday’s pre-district playoff game against Mattawan, star senior Jackson Clay went down with an injury in the game. The news was a major blow to the team, but especially Jackson, who is playing in...

Varsity football secures third District final appearance in four years with 34-14 win over Mattawan

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief November 3, 2019

Deep into the third quarter in Friday’s matchup with the Mattawan Wildcats, the varsity football team was being held to no more than a 13 point lead, keeping the Wildcats well within reach. However,...

Playoff Preview Q&A with Head coach Tim Rogers

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 30, 2019

After finishing the regular season with a 49-7 win over Greenville, the varsity football team comes into the first round of the playoffs with an overall record of 7-2. Both sides of the ball have been...

FHC Sports Report Presents: Back-To-Back Series

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 29, 2019

In this series, sports reporters will argue back-and-forth between each other on hot topics, popular sports debates, or sports in generals.

Widespread contribution from varsity football leads to commanding 49-7 win over Greenville on Senior Night

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 27, 2019

For Friday night’s regular-season finale between the varsity football team and Greenville, nearly everything was perfect: the weather was beautiful, the offense executed, the defense dominated, and all...

Varsity football preview: Greenville Yellow Jackets

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 24, 2019

In last year’s matchup between these two teams, the varsity football team came into Week 9 needing a win; a win would put the Rangers at 5-4 with a possibility of gaining a spot in the playoffs, while...

Varsity football clinches fourth straight playoff berth with 14-7 win over Lowell on Homecoming

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 20, 2019

With the Rangers clinging onto a 14-7 lead, the Lowell Red Arrows drove down deep into Ranger territory. After starting on its own 19-yard line, Lowell ended up all the way on the FHC 3.5 yard line. On...

Cedar Springs dominates varsity football on both sides of the ball, wins 30-6

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief October 6, 2019

The absence of starting quarterback senior Jimmy Scholler due to a concussion was a crucial one, as the FHC offense could not garner any momentum whatsoever as the Rangers fell to Cedar Springs 30-6. The...

Dominant defensive performance leads to avenging 28-0 win over Northview for varsity football

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 29, 2019

The FHC defensive front seven along with the dynamic offensive duo of senior Jimmy Scholler and junior Jonah Spates exploded for a commanding performance over the Northview Wildcats, a team the Rangers...

Jimmy Schollers three touchdowns lead varsity football to 34-7 rivalry win over FHN

Jimmy Scholler’s three touchdowns lead varsity football to 34-7 rivalry win over FHN

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 22, 2019

For the third consecutive week, senior Jimmy Scholler was a force to reckoned with under center, passing and running for a combined three touchdowns in each contest. Despite falling to Grandville last...

Miraculous comeback falls short as varsity football is defeated by Grandville 32-29

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 15, 2019

After falling to an early 32-7 deficit, the Rangers produced a near-historic comeback in Grandville on Friday night. The Grandville offensive playstyle—the Wing T—gave FHC some serious fits early on,...

Varsity football preview: Grandville Bulldogs

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 12, 2019

On a string of two dominant defensive performances, the Rangers come into week 3 with a 2-0 record and a bag full of confidence. A 3-0 record in non-conference play would surely raise eyebrows across the...

Improved passing game and continued success on the ground leads varsity football to dominating 30-7 win over West Ottawa

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 8, 2019

Seniors Jimmy Scholler and Jackson Clay, along with junior Jonah Spates, led a new-look FHC offense to a dominating performance in the air. After failing to string much together in the passing game in...

Varsity football preview: West Ottawa Panthers

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief September 5, 2019

After defeating the Jenison Wildcats 14-7 in the infamous season opener that stretched over two days, the varsity football team shifts its attention to another difficult team from the west side of Grand...

Varsity football takes down Jenison 14-7 in lightning-delayed season opener

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief August 31, 2019

In one of the most unorthodox high school football games in recent memory, a very defensive game that saw very few scores ended in a 14-7 victory for the Rangers. Just as the second half was set to kick...

Varsity football looks to utilize depth and talent to overcome youth and inexperience

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief August 30, 2019

After raising the bar in 2017 and then slowing things down in 2018, the varsity football team is looking to get back to where the program was just two years ago. With plenty of talent and a reloaded roster,...

Q&A with newly named boys varsity soccer coach Paul Kramer

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Editor in Chief July 9, 2019

After leading the boys varsity soccer team to a 10-8-1 record in 2018, head coach Caleb Postlewait stepped down at the beginning of the summer. With the athletic department looking for a new coach to fill...

Boys varsity lacrosse claims emotional State championship win, defeats rival Forest Hills Eastern 20-4

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter June 9, 2019

For everyone on the lacrosse team’s roster, Saturday’s State championship contest was more than just an average game. While that may seem obvious, it may not be for the reasons you think. “Winning...

State Championship preview: Boys varsity lacrosse vs. Forest Hills Eastern

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter June 8, 2019

The day every high school sports athlete dreams of has arrived for the boys varsity lacrosse team: the MHSAA State Championship. For the fourth time in just as many years, the Rangers will take the field...

Boys varsity lacrosse scores 17 goals in the first half against Orchard Lake St Marys to clinch State title game birth

Boys varsity lacrosse scores 17 goals in the first half against Orchard Lake St Mary’s to clinch State title game birth

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter June 6, 2019

Following a 19-4 victory over Warren De La Salle in the State quarterfinals, the boys varsity lacrosse team took on Orchard Lake St Mary's in the State semifinal, a team the Rangers defeated 16-2 less...

Led by freshmen offensive firepower, girls JV soccer claims conference championship in 14-1-1 season

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter June 4, 2019

Coming off of a second place finish in the OK White conference the year prior, the girls JV soccer team came into this year with high expectations after adding new, young talent and returning experienced...

Boys varsity lacrosse advances to State semifinals with dominating 19-4 win over Warren De La Salle

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter June 2, 2019

Fresh off of a Regional championship win, the boys varsity lacrosse team had a quick turnaround with only one day of practice to prepare for the State quarterfinals. The opponent for the Rangers in the...

Despite slow start, boys varsity lacrosse claims eighth straight Regional championship with 17-4 win over FHN

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 30, 2019

In a tale of four very different quarters, the boys varsity lacrosse team took home its eighth consecutive Regional title with a win over crosstown rival Forest Hills Northern. Even though the team started...

Captivating second quarter leads boys varsity lacrosse to 18-0 mercy win over Grand Rapids Christian

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 23, 2019

After an obliterating 18-1 win over Comstock Park in the first round of Regionals, the boys varsity lacrosse team took on the Grand Rapids Christian Eagles in the Regional Semifinal. The Eagles came into...

Girls JV soccer concludes season with a 9-0 win to secure conference championship

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 21, 2019

After a crucial 5-0 win over conference foe Lowell, the girls JV soccer team put themselves in prime position to win the conference championship in a matchup against Greenville, a team they mercied earlier...

Boys varsity lacrosse opens playoffs with commanding 18-1 win over Comstock Park

In the second round of the MHSAA Division 2 playoffs, junior Jackson Clay continued his offensive dominance from the tail end of the regular season, scoring 8 goals early on in the game to lead the Rangers...

Jackson Clay and Carson Deines combine for 10 goals to take down defending state champion Detroit Catholic Central

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 17, 2019

In a matchup between two of the best teams in the entire state, junior Jackson Clay and sophomore Carson Deines combined to score 10 goals en route to a 12-9 win for the Rangers over the Detroit Catholic...

Girls JV soccer inches closer to conference championship with 5-0 win over Lowell

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 16, 2019

Coming off of a 4-0 win over South Christian, the girls JV soccer team moved its attention towards the Lowell Red Arrows, a team they narrowly defeated 2-1 earlier in the season. While the Red Arrow defense...

Ruthie VanSkivers hat-trick leads girls JV soccer past South Christian

Ruthie VanSkiver’s hat-trick leads girls JV soccer past South Christian

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 15, 2019

In a span of 15 minutes, freshman Ruthie VanSkiver scored 3 goals to create a massive cushion that pushed the Rangers past the South Christian Sailors. With the game being played at South Christian's...

5 goals from Carson Deines propels boys varsity lacrosse past Orchard Lake St. Marys

5 goals from Carson Deines propels boys varsity lacrosse past Orchard Lake St. Mary’s

After nine straight wins and a blowout win over a high-quality St. Viator (IL) squad, the Rangers are looking to close out the season with two wins. With two games left in the regular season, the boys...

With John Beilein gone, where does Michigan basketball go next?

Matthew Mahoney and Sam Tuori May 13, 2019

The day all Michigan basketball fans have been dreading for the past couple of years has officially arrived. As of this morning, the now former Michigan basketball coach John Beilein has been named the...

Boys varsity lacrosse wins its ninth straight game, defeats Saint Viator (IL) 15-6

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 13, 2019

Just two days after a blowout win over Forest Hills Northern, the boys varsity lacrosse team traveled to Chicago on Saturday to take on Saint Viator. The Saint Viator Lions came into this game off the...

Electric offense fuels boys varsity lacrosse to 19-2 win over FHN

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 10, 2019

Picking up right from where they left off against Rockford, the high-powered Ranger offense started off hot against Forest Hills Northern on Thursday. Throughout the entirety of the first half, the...

Girls JV soccer suffers first loss of the season to Cedar Springs

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 9, 2019

With an undefeated record on the line, the girls JV soccer team took on Cedar Springs—one of the most challenging opponents so far this season. The girls established the goal of having an undefeated...

Tate Hallock and Luke Majick shine as boys varsity lacrosse clinches conference championship with 16-8 win over Rockford

Matthew Mahoney, Sports Reporter May 8, 2019

With a conference championship on the line, seniors Tate Hallock and Luke Majick took over the game offensively to overpower the Rockford defense. With 10 goals combined between the two of them, the ball...

Load More Stories