Freshman football preview: Grandville Bulldogs

The Forest Hills Central freshman football team comes into week 3 with a record of 2-0. The Rangers look to finish up their non-conference portion of the schedule undefeated when they take on the Grandville Bulldogs Thursday night. The Rangers narrowly defeated Jenison 16-13 in a back-and-forth game in week one, and they dominated on both sides of the ball in a 23-0 win over West Ottawa last week.

The Bulldogs are currently 1-1 on the season, blowing out Clarkston 46-0 and losing to Warren De La Salle 41-37. They are a very run-oriented offense, so stopping them on first and second down will be a priority for the Rangers in order to get them in third and long situations. The Rangers plan to do this with good defensive line play from freshmen Carter Kelly, Conner Milton, and Stevie Wolf. Doing this will force Grandville to throw the ball more, which is something they don’t want to do. The Rangers are looking to clean up their early game mistakes, as they take on their toughest opponent to date.

The Rangers’ depth will be tested as starting running back and linebacker freshman Tyler Weaver is out hurt with a knee injury. Offensively, the team will look for freshman fullback Tate Greer and freshman quarterback Hunter Robinson to step up in the run game. Hunter will also be looking for his top target at wide receiver, freshman Jacob Bonnett, who has a nose for the end zone. Ultimately, this game will be won or lost on the offensive and defensive lines. The Rangers’ ability to run the ball as well as stop the run will be the deciding factor in a game pitting two evenly matched teams.