Boys JV soccer loses to Forest Hills Northern 2-1

With two minutes left in regulation and the game tied 1-1, FHN put in a goal to seal the 2-1 victory over the Rangers. Both teams battled equally as hard as its opponent to close out the game.

“I think the team played phenomenally, I believe it was the best game of the year,” Head coach Paul Kramer said. “In soccer, you can dominate a game or outplay an opponent, and yet still lose. Unfortunately this time a couple of mistakes cost us.”

Despite the loss to rival Forest Hills Northern, the FHC JV soccer team played its hearts out.

“I don’t think the score truly told the story of the game,” sophomore Mason Corcoran said.

Both teams started out with a quick pace, going from goal line to goal line. Although neither team scored in the first half, the game was a constant battle. Freshman Joe Robertson led the way for Central in the first half, pushing the ball upfield in order to create opportunities for his offense. Along with him, an impressive striking force was sophomore Matthew Mahoney. Matthew led the team with a total of 11 shots on net; unfortunately for him, all of them were tipped out by the goalie. 

On the other side, Northern held a constant offensive force that kept the opposing team on its toes. Freshman goalie Ryan Fitzgerald played the whole game and didn’t allow any goals in the first half. 

“The hardest part about playing Northern was their pace and intensity,” Kramer said. “I think our center backs really held with them the entire game, though.”

The Huskies showed their intensity, coming out of halftime fighting. Eventually, the Ranger offense had a breakaway up field with Joe Robertson leading the charge. With a sequence of passing and dribbling, Joe found a lane, and shot. The ball ricochet off the hands of the keeper and bounced in. This put the Rangers up 1-0 just after halftime.

The opponent fired back, forcing one 1 into the right side of the net, just passed the keeper. Leading the Ranger defense was sophomore Rodrick Deoliveira, who stopped the strong opposing offense. Rodrick cleared every ball that came to his side, and was a huge help for the Rangers.

With 1:35 on the clock, Northern lined up for a corner kick. An on-target kick led to a strong header right through the hands of the goalie, and into the back of the net. Central tried to push the ball up the field to tie it up again, but with no luck. The Huskies would end up winning a very well-fought match against FHC 2-1.

“We’ve definitely improved since the first game, and I’m proud of us,” Rodrick said. “We tried to play a more technical game by passing a bit more, but the defense couldn’t quite finish it out.”

The JV soccer season isn’t quite over with yet. Although coming off a tough loss, the Rangers play at home against Lowell next Tuesday, September 18. The loss against Northern forces the team to 4-5 on the season and 4-1 in conference play.

“The little things,” Kramer said, “it’s the little things that are the key to our success in the future.”