JV boys soccer gets the win against Lowell 5-0

Sophomore Matthew Mahoney set up for a free kick at just over 25 yards, fired, and the ball soared over the Lowell goalkeeper and into the back of the net for his second goal of the night and to extend FHC’s lead to 3-0.

“Mahoney had a very strong game today; he contributed very nicely to our outcome,” sophomore Brady Price said.

The FHC JV soccer team took on the Red Arrows of Lowell and came out with a solid 5-0 win. Despite the outcome of the game, both teams had a solid offensive game. The first half started with sophomore Mason Corcoran placing a ball right at the disposal of Brady, who launched it in the back of the net. Just before the end of the first half, freshman A.J. Knape snuck the ball in the net just out of the grasp of the goalie. This ended the first half, with the Rangers on top 2-0.

“I think the team played well. We got a little sloppy, especially in the second half,” said Matthew. “We should have finished off more of our chances.”

The second half started just as the first half ended, and the Rangers kept the scoring streak alive to score 3 goals in just five minutes.  

The first came from Matthew with a flying freekick that sailed over the defenders’ heads, giving the goalie no chance for a save. Just a minute after Matthew’s goal, freshman Ben Taylor dribbled the ball up the sideline and managed to sneak the ball into the right side of the net from the left side of the field. Ben played an overall great game and led the team to its fifth win of the season. Finally, Matthew’s second goal of the game came with 25 minutes left in regulation on a grounder that was assisted by a perfect center.

The Red Arrows had pressure to score a goal in order to bring the game back within reach, but they couldn’t quite manage it due to a persistent Ranger defense. They had multiple opportunities, but couldn’t quite capitalize.

Many players have improved a good amount this season as they look ahead to the far future.

“My goal as a coach is to help my players make the transition from JV to varsity,” Head coach Paul Kramer said. 

The FHC JV team finished this game 5-0 against Lowell and evened out its record to 5-5, with a conference record of 5-1. The Rangers’ next game is at Northview on Thursday, September 20.

“We definitely need to capitalize on our chances next game,” Brady said after the game. “We missed too many open looks.”

Jacob Ervin, Sports Reporter

Jacob Ervin is a sophomore at FHC, entering his first year on staff. He is an aspiring student, and is planning to finish his high school career at Central. Although journalism is more of a hobby for him, his true passion is engineering. He plays basketball, but enjoys watching football and soccer as well.

Favorite thing about FHC: The passion of the student section throughout victory and hardship.

Favorite thing about Sports Report: How the students comes together to better the community, and school as a whole.

College Interests: Michigan, Notre Dame, and Cornell.