Freshman football rolls over Northview 28-6

Freshman quarterback Hunter Robinson kneed the ball twice as the final seconds ticked off of a dominant 28-6 victory over the Northview Wildcats. The Rangers now improve to 4-1 overall and an undefeated 2-0 record in conference play.

Starting fast was very important to the Rangers’ success and freshman Jacob Bonnett’s interception on the Rangers’ first defensive possession was just what they needed.

“That was very important for the team,” Jacob said. “It pumped everyone up and it led to a touchdown so that was definitely big for us.”

With the short field ahead, the Rangers took advantage and four plays later Hunter was able to find freshman tight end Colten Jenkins for a 15-yard touchdown.

“A big key [to this win] was the execution of our pass game,” Head coach Ty Hallock. “Multiple players had good catches and runs.”

A few drives later, Hunter decided to take it himself from 7 yards out for a score to put the Rangers up 14-0. A few possessions later, Hunter found Jacob for a 20-yard touchdown to put them up 21-0 at halftime.

“We ran some really good routes today,” said Hunter, who was very complimentary of his receivers. “Guys got open and made some huge catches on third down and long.”

In the second half, it was more of the same from the Rangers as freshmen Conner Milton, Ivan Wheland, and Tate Greer led the swarming Rangers’ defense, as the Wildcats could do virtually nothing. Late in the third quarter, freshman Josh Smith jumped on a fumble in the end zone to put the Rangers up 28-0. The Wildcats were able to score a late touchdown to get on the board, but there was never in doubt in the second half that FHC would come out on top.

The Rangers will next travel to Cedar Springs to take on the Redhawks in a big OK White conference game.

“We need to work hard in practice this week because we know we are playing a really good team next in Cedar Springs,” Ivan said. “We are going to have to start hot again next week.”