JV football preview: Cedar Springs Red Hawks

Matthew Mahoney

More stories from Matthew Mahoney

Jaden Talley
January 20, 2021
Top 5 Winners
November 30, 2020

This week, the JV football team will be facing off against the Red Hawks of Cedar Springs. The team enters week six with a 2-3 record after two wins in a row. Last week, the Rangers looked very strong in a powerful offensive showing, where recent varsity pull-up sophomore Carson Mocherman ran for three touchdowns.

Last year, the Rangers defeated Cedar Springs with a score of 30-16. The Red Hawks run the Wing-T offense, which is a system that almost always runs the ball. Some teams that run the Wing-T still pass the ball, but Cedar Springs only passes when they absolutely have to. The Red Hawks do not enjoy going away from their power-heavy run game. The Ranger defensive line will be looking to stop the opposing offense at the line of scrimmage. The team will be looking to work hard to bring down the big Red Hawk runners.

The Red Hawks played the Rangers’ opponent from last week, Northview, early on in the season, where they won at home in a close game 35-28. That score bodes well for the Rangers, as FHC utterly dominated Northview at home. However, the Rangers will not be underestimating the Cedar Springs team this week.

“They will be a pretty big threat to us,” sophomore Deacon Lobdell said. “They played a pretty close game with us last season.”

Newly promoted starting sophomore quarterback Maguire Mahacek will be looking to fill in the big rushing and passing presence of Carson. Sophomore wide receivers Luke Matelic, Evan Van Artsen, and Rhosias Arius will be looking to help Maguire out in the air with good routes and catches. Sophomore running back Sawyer Bosch will look to assist the team on the ground and pick up where he left off with his runs down the middle.