Girls swim and dive defeats FHNE 116-68

Girls swim and dive defeats FHNE 116-68

The swimmers of FHC consistently beat out numerous girls from the FHNE swim team in Tuesday’s swim and dive meet to win 116-68.

The swim team was led by freshman Maggie Hier, who placed first in the 50-yard Freestyle and second in the 100-yard Butterfly. Sophomore Ellie Field also helped lead the team by winning the 500-yard Freestyle and taking second in the 200-yard Freestyle, along with sophomore Emily Johnson placing first and freshman Jessica Doyel placing third in the same event. Some other key swimmers this meet were senior Jessica Schellenboom, who placed first in the 100-yard Breastroke along with sophomore Sydney Kushak who placed second. Sydney also placed second in the 100-yard Freestyle, with junior Sarah Schenck placing first and senior Katie Johnson placing third.

“A goal for our team is to win conference this year because we have been getting second [in years past], ” junior Elena Folkert said. ” We really want to work on our times and to improve on them every time.”

The diving team had a rough meet this week with senior Lauren Gesik placing the highest for the team in fifth place, with a final score of a 163.80. All girls worked hard and competed well and even without placing in the top five, still helped lead the team to victory.

“I want to try some new dives this year so that I can put up higher scores,” junior Dana Kistler said. ” I’ve been working on a front somersault and I can’t wait to try it out in meets.”

Both Ranger relays ended well with sophomore Sarah Chesner, senior Jessica Schellenboom, junior Sarah Schenck and junior Maggie Zorn swimming the 200-yard Medley Relay. Maggie Hier, sophomore Emily Johnson, freshman Jessica Doyel and junior Olivia Luplow also placed second in the 50-yard Freestyle Relay. Sophomore Sarah Chesner also helped the team earn some points by placing first in the 100-yard Backstroke, along with Maggie Zorn placing second and senior Kara Bolger placing third in the same event. In the 100-yard Breastroke, Jessica Schellenboom also helped the team by placing first and Sydney Kushak placed second.

“The team did a wonderful job in trying to evaluate a lot of different perspectives and swimming a lot of different races tonight,” Head coach Dennis Neat said, “We’ve been swimming a lot of standard events and so we haven’t had a chance to stretch out and explore what the possibilities are that we could swim and maybe find a way to cover our weaknesses.”

The Lady Ranger swim and dive team takes on the Grand Rapids Catholic Central Cougars on Tuesday, October 2 at the YMCA in downtown Grand Rapids. The team looks to win against the Cougars to help achieve their goal of winning conference this season.