Freshman football defeats Cedar Springs 17-16 in a thriller

The freshman football team entered week six at 4-1 and knowing they’d be facing one of the toughest tests to date in Cedar Springs. On the heels of great defense and the foot of freshman kicker Luke Gustafson, the Rangers were able to pull off a 17-16 win.

On their first drive, the Rangers were able to march down the field at will behind a great performance by freshmen linemen Carter Kelly, Cam Dewitt, and Will Richardson.  Freshman running back Quentin Rudolph was able to punch it in from a few yards out to make it 7-0 Rangers. The Red Hawks then proceeded to drive with their run-oriented, waste the clock offense until nearly the end of the second quarter. They were able to score from a few yards out and the Red Hawks were successful on their two-point conversion attempt to lead 8-7 at the half.

In the second half, the Ranger defense really stepped it up. Led by freshman linebacker Tate Greer and freshman defensive lineman Colten Jenkins, they were able to stuff the run and forced the Red Hawks to punt on multiple occasions. However, the Ranger offense did not fare much better throughout the third quarter and most of the fourth.

After getting yet another stop, the Rangers went to work on offense. They were able to drive to the Red Hawks’ 20 yard line and freshman quarterback Hunter Robinson was able to find his go-to target in freshman Benny Scholler for a touchdown to put the Rangers up 14-8 with three minutes remaining. The Red Hawks then responded with a touchdown of their own and converted a successful two-point attempt to give them a 16-14 lead. The Rangers were left with 1:36 on the clock and needing a field goal or touchdown to win it. Hunter was able to find a few of his receivers for short gains to march up the field. On fourth down and 4 with 30 seconds remaining at the Cedar Springs’ 27 yard line, Head coach Ty Hallock had a big decision to make about whether to go for it or call on freshman kicker Luke Gustafson to kick a 44-yard field goal. He decided to go with Luke and the talented leg was able to sneak the ball through the uprights to give the Rangers the victory.

The Rangers now improve to 5-1 on the season and will look to carry momentum from this thrilling win into the rest of the season. The freshman football team will be at Ottawa Hills next week Thursday.