Freshman football preview: Byron Center Bulldogs

The Forest Hills Central freshman football team enters week seven on the heels of a tremendous come-from-behind 17-16 win over the Cedar Springs Red Hawks. The Rangers now have a record of 5-1 and they are 3-0 against OK White competition. Due to the Ottawa Hills Bengals not having a freshman team, the Rangers will travel to Byron Center to take on the Bulldogs on Thursday.

Defensively, the Rangers will once again play a team that loves to run the ball. The Bulldogs run a spread offense that is very run-orientated. The Rangers will look to freshmen linebackers Tate Greer and Ivan Wheland as well as freshmen defensive linemen Conner Milton and Carter Kelly to be able to stuff the run. If they are able to stop the ball at the line of scrimmage, they will force the Bulldogs into third-and-long situations and FHC will look to freshmen defensive backs Jacob Bonnett and Benny Scholler to shut down the passing game.

Offensively, the Rangers will once again rely heavily on freshman quarterback Hunter Robinson. Hunter will be looking to air the ball out to his big-play threats in freshman Colten Jenkins, Jacob, and Benny. Hunter will also look to run the ball, so offensive-line play will be crucial in this game. Freshmen Stevie Wolf, Will Richardson, Cam Dewitt, and Carter will be key in pass protection and creating holes for the run game. This game will come down to the which team can be more productive on the ground, so if the Rangers can both run the ball and stop the Bulldogs from doing so, they will be successful.