JV football preview: Ottawa Hills Bengals

Matthew Mahoney

More stories from Matthew Mahoney

Jaden Talley
January 20, 2021
Top 5 Winners
November 30, 2020

This week, the JV football team will be going up against the Bengals of Ottawa Hills. The Rangers enter this week with a 2-4 overall record, while going 2-1 in the conference. Last week, they were defeated by Cedar Springs 44-7, so they will be looking to avenge that gruesome loss.

The opponent for this week, Ottawa Hills, suffered a narrow loss to the Northview Wildcats 31-30; an opponent that the Rangers defeated 35-17. Last year when these two teams faced off, the Rangers had an easy game in which they defeated the Bengals by a grand 45-0. However, the Bengals have upgraded their offensive play scheme, switching to the “Show Gun Offense,” which was made famous by the football dynasty at Muskegon High School. With the new offense and overall overhaul of the program, the Bengals are looking more organized and better than ever for this matchup.

Even after a bad loss last week, the Rangers are coming into this game with great confidence thinking about last year’s game.

“We’re going into this game with the confidence of winning last year,” sophomore Gabe Moraru said, ”along with the certainty of winning this year.”

After some disappointing results so far this season, the team agrees that the defense needs to improve if they want to win some more games this year, specifically tackling and organization. This will be a big focus between sophomore linebackers Sawyer Bosch and Danny Dykstra as they try to bring down the Bengal runners.

Sophomore quarterback Maguire Mahacek will once again be looking to fill in for varsity pull-up sophomore Carson Mocherman. After getting off to a shaky start against a tough Cedar Springs team last week, Maguire will try to make his mark from the quarterback position against the Bengals.