Varsity football beats Ottawa Hills 55-20 on Senior Night

Explosive nights for junior Jimmy Scholler and sophomore Carson Mocherman led the varsity football team to a big 55-20 win over Ottawa Hills. Both quarterbacks were responsible for 3 touchdowns apiece, an impressive feat considering neither player has had considerable experience at quarterback at the varsity level. Jimmy went eight for nine and totaled 96 yards in the passing game, while Carson led the team in rushing yards with 137.

“I feel like I was really nervous against Cedar Springs,” said Jimmy about his first varsity start last week, “but the guys were really positive, [senior] Luke Majick was super helpful, and I think it’s kind of natural now.”

Senior lineman Kyle Wojczynski celebrates with junior quarterback Jimmy Scholler after touchdown run.

Jimmy got the scoring started in the first quarter, followed by a 5-yard senior Cam Deines touchdown run.

Jimmy then punched it in from 5 yards out once more to give FHC a 21-0 lead after the first quarter. Carson earned his first varsity career touchdown later in the first half on a 6-yard run.

“[Scoring 3 touchdowns] feels great, it’s cool to play in front of a big crowd,” said Carson, who was recently pulled up from JV.  “Our offensive line was executing their blocks really well opening up holes.”

Sophomore quarterback Carson Mocherman scores his first varsity touchdown.

FHC senior defensive linemen Kyle Collar and Kyle Wojczynski and junior Brandon Weiskopf were key to stopping a shifty Ottawa Hills run game.

“The defensive line did a really good job,” Head coach Tim Rogers said. “[Ottawa Hills] doesn’t throw it well but they run it very well, so our objective was to shut down the run game, and I thought we did a good job of it.”

With this stellar performance from the starting defense and one more touchdown from sophomore Joey Wise, FHC shutout the Bengals in the first half to lead 41-0 at the break.

In the second half, many players off the sideline were able to get some snaps, and the Rangers were still able to produce on offense. The Ottawa Hills quarterback was able to find some holes in the defense late in the game, which allowed the Bengals to put up 3 touchdowns. In the end, FHC walked away with a big 55-20 win on Senior Night.

“This win was great, it’s been a tough year and we’ve battled and lost some tough games,” Rogers said. “It’s nice today to send the seniors out on the right note and get some guys who have been working hard all week in practice a chance to play.”

With this win, the Rangers move to 3-4 (2-2). Next week, FHC will go on the road to take on rival Lowell and the Rangers look to keep their playoff dreams alive with another conference win. Last night’s game, however, was special for the 13 seniors on the roster, as it marked the last game they’ll play in Ranger Memorial Stadium.

“It’s been a great ride,” said Cam, one of the four co-captains for the team this year. “The last four years have been awesome; it’s a great class and I wouldn’t want this with anyone else.”

Molly Donovan, Sports Editor in Chief

Molly is writing for the FHC Sports Report for her second year, and she has taken over the Sports Editor in Chief role. She is excited to be part of another...