Cross country teams compete in Portage Cross Country Invite this past weekend

The cross country teams competed in the Portage Cross Country Invitational this past weekend. This invite is a huge race, with thirty girls teams racing, and thirty-six boys teams racing. However, despite all of the competition the FHC boys and girls teams were able to secure a very respectable place: the boys took nineteenth and the girls took fourteenth.

Leading the boys team, once again, was senior Geoffrey Batterbee in twenty-first place with a final racing time of 16:30.4. The last ranger to finish in the top one-hundred for the boys team was freshman Samuel Yeager; Sam finished the race with a time of 17:28.7. Geoffrey and Sam were racing against 251 other racers in this weekend’s race.

The girls team had three girls finishing in the top one-hundred, and of those girls, two finished in the top fifty. Junior Nicole Marco finished in thirty-fifth place with a final time of 19:57.5. Finishing right after Nicole was sophomore Whitney Currie. Whitney finished in thirty-seventh place and finished the race in 19:59.8. The last girl to finish in the top one-hundred was senior Sussanah Bennett who secured seventy-fifth place. Susannah finished with a time of 20:59.0, and was racing against 213 other girls.

The cross country teams will race again this Saturday, October 13 at the Kent Ottawa County Meet.

Zoe Lipke, Sports Reporter

Zoe is a sophomore in her second year on The Central Trend. She is writing for the sports report this year. Zoe partakes in girls basketball at our school,...