• March 254/12: M-STEP for 11th Graders
  • March 254/11: ACT WorkKeys for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: No school for 12th graders
  • March 254/10: SAT for 11th graders
  • March 254/10: PSAT for 9th and 10th Graders
  • March 254/20: Prom
  • March 253/28-4/7: Spring Break

Dana Kistler

Dana Kistler , Staff Writer

Dana is a Senior entering her second year as a staff writer on The Central Trend. She rows for FHC. During her free time, Dana finds herself organizing, finding a new form of art to make, or spending time with her friends and family.

Favorite part about being on staff: Being involved and knowing whats going on around school

Favorite type of story: Column

Hobbies/interests: Weight Training, Cooking, Embroidery, and Gardening

Favorite Book: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan

On a Friday night, you will usually find Dana: She'll either be at home relaxing after a long week or out with friends

All content by Dana Kistler
What I Would Have Told Her — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Director of Office Space March 9, 2020

At the end of every year, my mother would put together a picture book to look back on how much happened that year. This started when I was in middle school, and it was the one thing every year I dreaded. I...

Forgive and Forget — A Free Verse

Forgive and Forget — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer March 2, 2020

I’m not one to forgive so easily. Nor am I one to forget. When someone I love hurts me, it hurts me deeply. The people I value, the people I keep close, the people I keep my loyalty to hurt me,...

The hidden arts at FHC series Q&A: Robin DeMeester

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 27, 2020

What are you involved in? How did you get involved in it? “I run the Theatre Department here, and my title really is Managing Director which means managing all of the shows; and anything that happens...

The hidden arts at FHC series Q&A: Rylee Veneklase

What are you involved in? How did you get involved in it? "I guess I just got into [art] when I was younger. Then in middle school, I got into their art program, and then the art teacher there got me...

The hidden arts at FHC series Q&A: John Courcy

What are you involved in?  “I’m in the band, specifically the wind ensemble, percussion ensemble, and I was in drumline during the fall. It’s all been a ton of fun and has helped me to make friends,...

It Makes Me Want to be Better  — A Free Verse

It Makes Me Want to be Better — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 24, 2020

It makes me want to be better. The way you care for others. You take time for others and listen to their problems. You let them speak and give your peace. You listen and sometimes just a shoulder...

So Say It — A Free Verse

So Say It — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 17, 2020

There's no use in hiding.  What you feel can be seen in everything you do.  These feelings starve you. You don’t feel the need to. Or you feel a little too much of a need to eat. Filling...

They can see right through - A free verse

They can see right through – A free verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 10, 2020

You don't think they can see it?    It's right there.    It’s obvious.    You made it yourself.  You show everyone this side of yourself. What you want them to...

Your life is your own - A Free Verse

Your life is your own – A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 3, 2020

What will you be?  It’s hard to know who you are or what you will be. You can’t properly identify what your attributes are or your personality traits at first.  It’s a learning process.  Finding...

Digital Media caters to those interested in digital art

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 30, 2020

The art department's computer lab has been desolate, only used for concussion tests and is frequently flooded. Other than that, it’s completely abandoned. However, this year a new class called Digital...

Finding Identity in Others — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 27, 2020

Who am I to others? Love is something that has always confused me.  How does it happen?  Naturally?  From what I’ve gathered, you love those you keep around, such as friends or family....

Whats in a name? - A Free Verse

What’s in a name? – A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 21, 2020

Who am I? I still have a hard time knowing who I am. For the most part, I believe I’ve figured it out but I’m still learning. To know yourself, to know your weaknesses and strengths is to conquer...

Sophomore Grace Collins finds a talent in culinary arts and support through the crew team

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 16, 2020

Cooking and baking are known as talents that are hard to polish. A very time-consuming and quantitative hobby that only some can perfect. Sophomore Grace Collins, on the other hand, has a natural and fluid...

RAT Q&A: Thomas Cobb

RAT Q&A: Thomas Cobb

Name: Thomas Cobb Grade: 10 1. What is your act? "I'm playing the guitar and my friend, Marissa, is playing the piano while she sings. We are performing 'Arms' by Christina Perri." 2. How did...

RAT Q&A: Marissa Lunt

RAT Q&A: Marissa Lunt

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 15, 2020

Name: Marissa Lunt Grade: 9 1. What is your act? "My act is a duo with my friend Thomas Cobb. I will be playing the piano with the acoustic guitar as accompaniment. The song we are playing is Arms...

Grandfathers Axe - A Free Verse

Grandfather’s Axe – A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 13, 2020

What is the 'self’? Who are you? Questions like this have been asked by humanity since birth and questions like this seem more vital than ever. How you describe yourself, how you dress, how you...

Hustle Culture has taken over the lives of students at FHC

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer January 9, 2020

Nowadays all we have now to do is to move, and if you aren’t moving constantly, you're not making progress. We now idolize constant movement and constant strides towards our goals, and this is our...

Knives Out sets a new standard for the mystery genre

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 26, 2019

The mystery genre for cinema is often unoriginal and lackluster. Mystery movies only contain characters we have already seen and twists we have already witnessed. Good examples of this could be Clue and...

The horror genre shouldnt be looked down on

The horror genre shouldn’t be looked down on

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 18, 2019

The horror genre has been famous for iconic scenes from Carrie getting covered in pig's blood to the Things chest defibrillation scene. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of the scary scenes, it's hard to...

Sophomore Desiree Tuohy finds her voice in theatre, toastmasters and broadcasting

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 6, 2019

Around the year 2008, in sixth grade, is when sophomore Desiree Tuohy was cast for the first time.  Every year like clockwork Goodwillie presents the famous show, a Christmas Carol. The school makes...

‘Ok Boomer’ has marginalized Generation Z

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 4, 2019

It's hard to miss. From news headlines to twitter posts, the saying ‘ok Boomer’ has swept the nation. The phrase ‘ok Boomer’ has sparked a controversy between generations, the Baby Boomers and...

TCTs The Countless Thanks 2019: Dana Kistler

TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2019: Dana Kistler

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 18, 2019

Elle Ohlman My fellow ambassador, I’m so thankful that you came back this year. I remember not knowing you too well in earlier years of high school, and that was an obvious mistake. You’re a big...

Jojo Rabbit has lots of laughs and a beautiful message

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 13, 2019

When you think of World War II movies, you usually think of the perspective of a soldier fighting against the Nazis, like movies such as Dunkirk or Fury. However, Jojo Rabbit breaks the norm and takes...

Susan Toppen

Susan Toppen

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 12, 2019

Name: Susan Toppen Grade: 12th Role: Mary Warren 1. Who is the funniest person on the cast and why? “Deciding who the funniest person on the cast is very difficult due to the amount of...

Alexander Hahn

Alexander Hahn

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 11, 2019

Name: Alexander Hahn Grade: 12th Role: Deputy Governor Danforth What is your acting background? “I have no acting background. But I’ve played in pit orchestras before in musicals. Acting...

Are live-action movies really that great?

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 6, 2019

When we think of childhood, we think of Disney and all of its magical movies we grew up with. As we grow older, we find that these movies are being remade into live-action. But why is that? Why is it that...

An Open Letter to Cheaters

An Open Letter to Cheaters

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 31, 2019

My first question is why? An easy answer would be to succeed. But how are you really succeeding? Yes, you’re getting that good grade, and yes, you’re acing that test, but is that really you?  No,...

Eye Of Truth — A Monologue

Eye Of Truth — A Monologue

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 30, 2019

‘What is truth you ask? Is it a belief? Is it reality? What do you find as truth?   Is it what you see when you open your eyes? Or is what you see when you close them?   Is...

Tracy Will inspires students and teachers alike through daily quotes

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 25, 2019

When walking into the main entrance of the school your eyes seem to dart to the seemingly bare, blank, whiteboard on the wall. On closer inspection, you’ll find a variety of inspiring quotes written...

a celebration of fear — A Free Verse

a celebration of fear — A Free Verse

Dana kistler, Staff Writer October 23, 2019

One emotion that seems to be present everyday is fear. Fear of being late,  Fear of not completing that assignment.    There's fear of things that make our skin crawl, such as phobias. That...

Change is nothing to fear - rhyme scheme

Change is nothing to fear – rhyme scheme

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 16, 2019

Change is a strange thing to wrap your head around. At times I feel accustomed to it, Being comfortable with my surroundings. Such as cutting my hair, Or painting my walls, Or moving the furniture...

Déjà vu — A Free Verse

Déjà vu — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 9, 2019

The night seeps through the curtains, Soaking me in uncertainty.   Another night of dreams, Delicate, forgetful dreams.   My mind makes up unusual stories, Crazy scenarios. Made...

Art Club provides a place for those to create and leave a mark on the school

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 7, 2019

When you first enter the freshman hallway, not a lot catches the eyes. With beige lockers aligned along white walls, there isn’t anything to look at. But when you move even further down the conformed...

Oh How the Wind Blows — A Free Verse

Oh How the Wind Blows — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer October 2, 2019

Oh how the wind blows.  Oh how the clockwork ticks.   When I’m not keeping myself busy, When I'm not consumed by work.   I get swept away by the wind.  I get swept away...

Improv Q&A: Ella Guikema

Improv Q&A: Ella Guikema

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer September 27, 2019

1. What bug are you? “I’m a monarch butterfly.” 2. What is your favorite improv game? “It's this game called Pockets, but it's Pockets plus Last Line. So, basically how its played is there...

Totem Pole - A Series of Haikus

Totem Pole – A Series of Haikus

Dana kistler, Staff Writer September 25, 2019

There is a place  Where I can travel back  To the past me    Inside the woods  Decorated greenery Stands a totem    A totem of me  The different versions  Of...

Migration - A Free Verse

Migration – A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer September 18, 2019

Without knowing it, we reach and grab towards something. We wander until we find what we think we’re looking for. When we do stumble upon something that amuses us, we stop and accumulate what we believe...

I Deserve Better

I Deserve Better

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer September 11, 2019

Late to bed, early to rise. You can see the weariness in my eyes.   Sipping on caffeine. Tabs building up on my screen.    Left without breakfast.  Only to arrive at the...

State of Vulnerability — A Free Verse

State of Vulnerability — A Free Verse

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer September 4, 2019

My nose shoves into the tide, lungs aching from holding onto my only breath.  The wind is howling, bringing wave after wave taunting me. My legs grow wearier as I continue to march through the...

Times of New Beginnings - A Couplet

Times of New Beginnings – A Couplet

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer August 28, 2019

It's the time of New beginnings, fresh starts.  Excitement buzzes in the air, the school year seems to be the only thing people talk about.  But it's tearing me apart.  Not to know how everything...

Student Council Q&A: Dani Ahmetovic

Student Council Q&A: Dani Ahmetovic

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 31, 2019

Name: Dani Ahmetovic Grade: Junior Running for: Vice President Why are you running? "I am running because I believe that it is time for the face of Student Council to be changed and for students...

Megan Cushman has found that balance and togetherness is key to her high school career

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 28, 2019

Amidst the silence of anxious rowers, sophomore Megan Cushman tells the bow to take one last stroke to align the boat straight in its lane. The air is quiet for a minute, but it is quickly disrupted when...

“Slow Burn” Podcast tells the story of those silenced in the Watergate scandal

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 23, 2019

I’ve been deprived of true crime for too long and was fiending for something to think and reflect about. I searched for an easier way to do it and found the podcast on Spotify called Slow Burn. This...

When lie becomes truth

When lie becomes truth

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 16, 2019

If I have learned anything from my life it’s to be a master of my own feelings. But I wasn’t always good at this. I used to be a bubbly, spunky little girl. I was enamored by what this world had...

A Cat Named Michael - Filmfest Preview Q&A

A Cat Named Michael – Filmfest Preview Q&A

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 6, 2019

Film: A Cat Named Michael Producers: Hayley Gorski, Valarie Nuffer, and Emily Pierce Interviewee: Hayley Gorski 1. What’s your film about? "Our film is about a character named Carter who...

To swing the bat

To swing the bat

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer May 2, 2019

The summer sun beat down on the finely kept field all season. Which is why you’ll usually find me in the shade amongst the trees during my brother’s games. I always thought that was the reason, the...

Boy Pablos new album Soy Pablo doesnt stray away from their usual sound

Boy Pablo’s new album Soy Pablo doesn’t stray away from their usual sound

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer April 25, 2019

I stumbled upon Boy Pablo on the fateful day I listened to "Ready/Problems." I was completing homework while listening to songs on YouTube when autoplay skipped to a song I’d never heard before....

Should we consider gaming scholarships as acceptable?

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer April 18, 2019

It's becoming more and more apparent that enrollment in colleges is shrinking and with that comes the solution of trying to "get with the new generation"; scholarships for gaming are an example of this....

Disney Channels new movie Kim Possible is impossible to watch

Disney Channel’s new movie Kim Possible is impossible to watch

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer April 11, 2019

Every day after school in second grade I would run home to watch the characters I loved go through dangerous and risky situations then prevail even when the odds were against them. Kim Possible was...

Humans of FHC: Anika Gartner

Humans of FHC: Anika Gartner

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer April 8, 2019

“My birthday this year was on a snow day. It was the week after the week full of snow days, and I really wanted to go to school on my birthday. I don’t know why, but I really like seeing my friends...

The symbol of judgment

The symbol of judgment

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer March 14, 2019

For what feels like centuries, this immense heat has burdened me. It’s dwindled me down each minute and stripped me of my pride. I can’t seem to escape it. I’m solidified to the ground by it....

Boarding soon

Boarding soon

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer March 12, 2019

8:32 boarding. I arrive at the airport around 7:30; checking my bag takes a couple of minutes. With my luck, I go through TSA pre-check, and security is rather quick. That means I have time to wander...

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part falls flat on its usual fun nature

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer March 5, 2019

In 2014, on February 7th, one of my good friends and I went to see The Lego Movie. Now, about five years later, we continued the tradition and saw the second installment of the series.  In the first...

A new point of view

A new point of view

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 26, 2019

Nobody will ever be able to understand you. Not because nobody wants to, but because nobody can. Despite how much they want to, despite how much you’ll try to force your viewpoint on them, they don't...

Why you shouldnt use straws

Why you shouldn’t use straws

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 21, 2019

Straws are innocent enough as it is; they can come in different playful shapes, but something you don’t normally think about is how these little plastic tubes you place in your soft drink affect the...

Dave Cumminss Timesuck podcast gives a skeptical side to the supernatural

Dave Cummins’s Timesuck podcast gives a skeptical side to the supernatural

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer February 14, 2019

Podcasts are the easiest way to retain information nowadays, as you can listen to them on the go, whether it be during work, cleaning etc. Typically, I go onto YouTube and waste time on watching conspiracy...

The bee population is still in decline due to a threatening disease

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 20, 2018

Honey can be a delectable treat for everyone and anyone. It can be perfected in a delicious dessert and other recipes, added to a sweet drink, or even eaten plain. But the rapid decline of honey bees can...

Earl Sweatshirt raps about self-reflection in his new album Some Rap Songs

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 13, 2018

For most of my life, I've occupied myself with music genres of only pop and indie, but nowadays, I’ve been exploring my options for music. I’ve listened to older music, some orchestra, and now, rap....

Time waits for no one

Time waits for no one

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 6, 2018

For something made up by mankind, it all seems too real. It can either pass by unnoticed, or its presence is unbearable. It’s confusing. I have so many questions about it. Am I able to do everything...

Kali Uchis new single “Just a Stranger” holds the same unique and personal atmosphere as her “Isolation”  album

Kali Uchis new single “Just a Stranger” holds the same unique and personal atmosphere as her “Isolation” album

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer December 4, 2018

Discovering Kali Uchis was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My love for the artist all started a couple of weeks ago when my friend invited me to a concert that was meant to celebrate her birthday....

Intro to business 2018: MOB Supply

Intro to business 2018: MOB Supply

Intro to Business is most well known for its ambitious fifteen-week project. The whole objective of the project is to sell as much as you can from the company you built. But for senior Jack Sarb, the idea...

The Dungeons and Dragons club is a place where anything is possible

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 29, 2018

As soon as the clock hits 2:45, the monotone bell rings out to students as a signal to rush home or to head to practice. But for members of the Dungeons and Dragons club, the bell means that a whole new...

TCT’s The Countless Thanks 2018: Dana Kistler

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 16, 2018

Grace Ohanesian and Molly Rupprecht-  for being there to talk about anything You both are such kind-hearted, hilarious people. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. Being around you both is so...

Kava Kasa is a place to leave everyday stresses behind

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 15, 2018

On Cherry Street in Eastown, you may find various numbers of unique stores with all sorts of different products. One of the more intriguing shops that catches the eye is the tropical cafe, Kava Kasa. Kava...

Fear wont control me

Fear won’t control me

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 8, 2018

Fear. She appeals to the fragile and intimidates the mighty. Her presence is soft to touch and comforting at first contact. Consumed by her aura, she gradually anchors you to her atmosphere. She...

Katie Frazer branches out and finds a passion in helping people

Dana Kistler, Staff Writer November 7, 2018

One of the most notable things about high school is the rush to find something you love to do and a field you want to work in for the rest of your life. For senior Katie Frazer, however, the path was clear;...

Load More Stories