The Choice

Payton Field, Staff Writer

When it comes to tragic love stories, you can usually find me in the back of the theatre, weeping, with tears streaming down my face. Walking into the theatre for yet another one of Nicholas Spark’s heartbreaking films, I expected nothing less than perfection. And as much as I hate to admit, the final product of the new movie The Choice did not meet my high expectations.

The movie begins with Travis Shaw, a man who seems to have everything: a good job, loyal friends, and a waterfront home in North Carolina. In pursuit of the good life, he spends his days boating, swimming, and having regular barbecues with his best friends and their families. Although his lifestyle is close to perfection, he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with any woman would only “cramp his style.” That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Despite his attempts to be neighborly, the appealing redhead seems to have no interest in anything Travis has to say or do. Despite himself, Travis can’t stop trying to ingratiate himself with his new neighbor, and his persistent efforts lead them both to the doorstep of a journey that lasts a lifetime.

So I bet you’re wondering, what about the movie did not meet my expectations? What didn’t I like? Well first of all, the movie did not do the book justice. The author of the book, Nicholas Spark, wrote with powerful and heartbreaking words. He paralleled the storyline of previous novels, like The Notebook and Dear John. His powerful words touched many hearts and kept me flipping the pages until the very end. The movie, however, was predictable, stretched for too long, and unrealistic. The director, Ross Katz, could have done a better job with telling the story because I got bored halfway through and it took too long to get the point across.

As much as I love tragic love stories, The Choice did not do its story justice. So if you’re looking for a new movie to see, I do not recommend this one. As Travis Shaw said, “You are free to make whatever choice you want, but you are not free from the consequences of that choice.”