• Leukemia and Lymphoma fundraiser: 2/18-2/22

• Next Hour Delay: 2/6

Allison Francisco cannot wait to see where soccer takes her

Since she was a three-year-old toddler, junior Allison Francisco has dedicated her entire life to her passion. From the countless practices and games, her life has continuously revolved around one sport: soccer.

Not many children start sports as young as Ally did, but she was introduced to her passion in a unique way. One of Ally’s best friends, who once played soccer, is the main reason why she continues to play thirteen years later.

“My best friend Sam wanted me to play, so then I started playing with him,” Ally said. “He is one of the main reasons why I still play.”

Not only has Sam been a big inspiration in Ally’s life, but her brother MJ has been as well. After graduating this past year, MJ has continued his soccer career at Hope College. This inspired Ally to think of playing soccer in college as well.

“I want to play soccer in college,” Ally said. “I’m not really sure where I want to go; I’m open to anything. But I really hope I am able to play in college.”

Ally’s career in soccer has not been all fun and games, though. During the winter of freshman year, Ally was faced with an unfortunate setback: she tore her ACL.

“I was dribbling down the line, I went to spin off a girl, and she kicked my knee in,” Ally said. “It went the [opposite] way as my foot. It was really early in the morning, so it was super quiet; it echoed in the place.”

Ally was first told that she just had a bruised knee, but after an MRI, it was obvious that it was much worst. However, Ally didn’t let this injury stop her; she took this challenge as a time to be grateful.

“Thankfully, I didn’t also tear my meniscus,” Ally said. “Since it happened when I was young, I was hopeful because it happened at a good time, and everything happens for a reason.”

After Ally’s injury not only did she start club soccer again at Midwest United, but she played for the FHC’s team. Her undeniable talent led to her making varsity as a sophomore. Ally enjoyed her year of school soccer and frequently compares it to the many other years that she has served on club soccer teams.

“School [soccer] is really cool because you play for a purpose,” Ally said. “You’re playing with all your best friends, so it’s super fun. I also like club because it’s super competitive, and you have friendship bonds that last years and years. I like to do both, especially because you have benefits from both of them.”

Ally’s career in soccer has taken her to far more places than in the Midwest—where she hopes to continue playing soccer after high school—to places such as New York, Florida, and North Carolina.

“I’ve been to Florida multiple times,” Ally said. “One of the best places was for Super Y, [a summer soccer club league]. We were right by Anna Maria Island, so we stayed on Anna Maria Island but also played soccer.”

Not only does Ally succeed outside the Midwest, but inside too. This past fall, her club team made it to state finals in the State Cup tournament, and she can’t wait to see where soccer brings her in the future.

“[Soccer] is a place where you forget about everything,” Ally said. “A place to just let things go, especially if you’re having tough times, you can kind of just let go.”