Girls JV basketball goes 1-1 at Cornerstone Holiday Tournament

The girls JV basketball team was defeated by the Catholic Central Cougars 47-33 on Thursday at Forest Hills Northern in the first round of the Cornerstone Holiday Tournament. The ladies were strong in the first and fourth quarters, but had given up five three-point shots in the second and third quarters, resulting in FHC having to fight from behind and overcome a large deficit.

Although the Rangers were lacking in the two middle quarters, sophomores Ella Sloat and Katie Tellier helped the team on the offensive end, with Ella scoring 8 points and Katie scoring 6. Freshman Julia Carlson also had another outstanding defensive game, finishing with a total of 10 rebounds.

The girls then took on the Wayland Wildcats in the second and final game of the tournament and were able to defeat the Wildcats with a final score of 43-33. The Rangers were to able to build an early lead by having sophomore Morghan Tilton, who scored a total of 11 points on the night, apply intense pressure during FHC’s press. There were also many looks down low to Katie Tellier, who led the team in scoring with 16 points. Sophomore Ava Metaj showed off impeccable defensive abilities and finished the game with 6 points.

The ladies open up conference play when they take on the Northview Wildcats on Thursday, Jan. 3 at Forest Hills Central.